Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Blows My Mind'
Oct 27, 2021 9:31 AM CDT
Braves Pitcher's Injured Move 'Blows My Mind'
Charlie Morton kept pitching on broken leg in Game 1 of the World Series
- Charlie Morton spun a curveball past Jose Altuve for a called third strike, his 16th pitch after taking a 102mph comebacker off his right leg. Morton stumbled and started to fall. Turns out the leg was broken. Morton's right fibula was fractured by Yuli Gurriel's one-hop screamer leading...
Apologizes for Apparent
Oct 9, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
MLB Announcer Apologizes for Apparent Slavery Reference
Jim Kaat made '40-acre field' remark about White Sox's Yoan Moncada during Friday playoff game
- In the first inning during a playoff game Friday between the Chicago White Sox and Houston Astros, Jim Kaat made an on-air remark about one of Chicago's players that he says was meant to be praise. By the fifth inning, the MLB Network announcer was offering up his apologies....
Aug 5, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Stroke Ended the All-Star Career of JR Richard
Astros star later overcame homelessness
- JR Richard, a star starting pitcher for the Houston Astros during the 1970s whose career was ended by a stroke, died Wednesday. He was 71, Click2Houston reports. In a statement, the Astros said Richard "will forever be remembered as an intimidating figure on the mound and as one of...
Technology Could End
Sign Stealing in Baseball
Jul 24, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Technology Could End Sign Stealing in Baseball
Electronic transmitter would wirelessly connect pitcher and catcher
- Catchers' signals—and stealing them—could become a relic if an experimental electronic device is successful. Major League Baseball will give catchers in the Low A West league the option starting Aug. 3 to use a 12-button transmitter that can be strapped with Velcro around a catcher's wristband. Receivers...
Out With Sons
at MLB Game
Jul 9, 2021 7:40 AM CDT
Dad's Night Out With Sons at MLB Game Turns Tragic
Police: Fatal shooting of David Castro after Astros game may have been tied to road rage
- A teen shot in the head in a possible road-rage incident on his way home from a Houston Astros game with his dad and brother has died, his family confirms. Paul Castro tells CNN his son David, 17, was taken off life support and declared dead Thursday afternoon. Castro says...
'Toy Cannon' Launched
Rockets for the Astros
Mar 31, 2020 8:30 PM CDT
'Toy Cannon' Launched Rockets for the Astros
Jimmy Wynn was known for hitting long, long home runs
- Jimmy Wynn, the diminutive Houston slugger whose monster shots in the 1960s and '70s earned him the popular nickname “The Toy Cannon," has died. He was 78. The Astros said the three-time All-Star outfielder died Thursday in Houston, per the AP , but did not provide further details....
Baseball Is Being Sued—
by Fantasy Players
Feb 25, 2020 6:00 PM CST
Baseball Is Being Sued— by Fantasy Players
They say their bets were tainted by the Astros' cheating
- The MLB is urging a judge to dismiss a class-action lawsuit brought by five fans who say their fantasy baseball scores suffered because the Houston Astros stole signs . The plaintiffs are suing the MLB, MLB Advanced Media, the Astros, and the Boston Red Sox (also accused of stealing signs ),...
MLB Commissioner Explains
Punishment Handed to Astros
Feb 17, 2020 7:12 AM CST
MLB Commissioner Explains Punishment Handed to Astros
Says the players did pay a price, but that a formal punishment wouldn't stick
- Houston Astros manager AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow were suspended for the 2020 season (and fired by the Astros) and the team paid a $5 million fine in connection with its 2017 sign-stealing cheating scandal . For anyone who thinks that's not punishment enough and that the team's...
Feb 13, 2020 10:55 AM CST
Astros Apologize, Say Cheating Didn't Affect World Series
Star Bregman 'sorry about the choices that were made by our team, the organization, and by me'
- It's time for spring training, and the Houston Astros' first order of business Thursday was a series of apologies for their high-tech cheating . Owner Jim Crane, manager Dusty Baker, and star players Alex Bregman and Jose Altuve all read prepared statements to the media about the sign-stealing mess, reports...
Pitcher Sues Astros
Feb 10, 2020 4:32 PM CST
Pitcher Sues Astros for Cheating
Houston was stealing signs when it hit Mike Bolsinger hard in a game that ended his career
- Newly converted to a reliever, Mike Bolsinger was trying to hold onto his roster spot with the Toronto Blue Jays when he took the mound in Houston on Aug. 4, 2017. He got just one out, as seven of the eight batters to come to the plate reached base. Bolsinger...
2 Sets of
Feb 5, 2020 4:15 PM CST
Pete Rose: Baseball Clearly Has 2 Sets of Rules
The baseball giant makes his case for reinstatement to MLB
- Houston Astros players go unpunished, and I'm still on the outs? Come on. That's pretty much Pete Rose's argument in a 19-page letter submitted by his lawyers Wednesday to MLB commissioner Rob Manfred, ESPN reports. The lawyers call Rose's punishment "vastly disproportionate" to that of...
Jan 16, 2020 3:33 PM CST
Cheating Scandal Costs Carlos Beltran Managing Job
Former All-Star had just been hired by the Mets
- Carlos Beltran, who was named in baseball's report as an initiator of the Houston Astros' scheme to steal signs from other teams, has lost his job as manager of the New York Mets—before ever managing a game. The Mets and Beltran "agreed to mutually part ways,"...
Baseball Hands Out
Jan 13, 2020 5:03 PM CST
Baseball Hands Out Unprecedented Penalty
Astros manager, GM fired by the team after MLB suspends them for stealing signs
- Astros manager AJ Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow were fired Monday after the pair were suspended by Major League Baseball for the team's use of electronics for sign-stealing during Houston's run to the 2017 World Series title and again in the 2018 season. In US sports' largest...
A Foul Ball Hit a Girl's Head.
7 Months Later, an Update
Jan 8, 2020 12:20 PM CST
A Foul Ball Hit a Girl's Head. 7 Months Later, an Update
Child hurt at Astros game has permanent brain injury, may have to take meds for life: lawyer
- A young girl hit by a foul ball during a Houston Astros game in May has a permanent brain injury, a lawyer for her family says. Attorney Richard Mithoff tells the
that the 2 1/2-year-old—who suffered a skull fracture at Minute Maid Park in Houston on May...
Astros Ace After Loss: 'I'm
Not an Employee of the Team'
Oct 31, 2019 11:38 AM CDT
Astros Ace After Loss: 'I'm Not an Employee of the Team'
Fans question manager's decision not to bring in Gerrit Cole
- "I'm not an employee of the team." Not exactly warm words coming from Houston Astros ace pitcher Gerrit Cole following Houston's Game 7 loss in the World Series Wednesday night. Even more telling about his future with the club: When speaking to reporters, Cole ditched his...
Nationals Win Their
First World Series
Oct 31, 2019 12:27 AM CDT
Nationals Win Their First World Series
Washington, DC, team overcame 2-run deficit in Game 7
- Almost out of contention in May, champs in October. Howie Kendrick, Anthony Rendon, and the Washington Nationals completed their amazing comeback journey—fittingly with one last late rally on the road. In Game 7 of the World Series, no less. Kendrick and Rendon homered in the seventh inning as the...
World Series Is
Going to Game 7
Oct 30, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
World Series Is Going to Game 7
Nats hammered Astros 7-2
- Stephen Strasburg took a gem into the ninth inning and Juan Soto ran all the way to first base with his bat following a go-ahead home run, the same way Houston slugger Alex Bregman did earlier. Washington has matched the Astros pitch for pitch, hit for hit, win for win—...
He Nabbed Ball
2 Beers, Gets
Oct 29, 2019 11:48 AM CDT
He Nabbed Ball While Holding 2 Beers, Gets Rewarded
Bud Light is sending the Washington Nationals fan back to the World Series
- Jeff Adams made headlines when, at Game 5 of the World Series on Sunday, he managed to nab a home run ball while also holding a can of beer in each hand. He was walking back to his seat at Washington DC's Nationals Park after procuring the beer when...
Nationals Wiped Out at Home
Oct 28, 2019 12:21 AM CDT
Nationals Wiped Out at Home
Astros take 3-2 Series lead
- The Houston Astros handed the ball to Gerrit Cole, and he gave them a firm grip on the World Series. Minus ailing ace Max Scherzer, the Nationals were no match in this Washington wipeout. Cole bounced back from a Game 1 clunker to pitch the Astros to a 7-1 win...
It's Curse, Curse, Curse
for the Home Team
Oct 27, 2019 6:22 AM CDT
It's Curse, Curse, Curse for the Home Team
Astros defeat Nationals at home to tie series at 2-2
- Unheralded rookie José Urquidy outpitched big-name aces, quieting Washington's bats and the Nationals Park crowd, too. Alex Bregman busted out of his slump with a go-ahead single in the first inning and a grand slam in the seventh, and the resurgent Houston Astros routed the Nationals 8-1 Saturday night...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.