Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ted Cruz's Booze Chucker
Won't Face Charges
Jan 9, 2023 8:19 AM CST
Ted Cruz's Booze Chucker Won't Face Charges
Texas senator was nearly hit in the head by unopened White Claw can
- A guy who threw two unopened cans of alcohol at Ted Cruz won't face charges after all. A grand jury opted not to indict Joseph Halm Arcidiacono for chucking the cans at the senator during a victory parade for the Houston Astros last year, reports the
More Than 1M Fans
Celebrate in Houston
Nov 7, 2022 6:15 PM CST
More Than 1M Fans Celebrate in Houston
Ted Cruz was hit by a beer can
- An estimated crowd of more than 1 million fans celebrated the Houston Astros' World Series win with a downtown parade Monday. Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner had encouraged fans coming to the victory parade to "arrive early, wear Astros' colors, be loud and celebrate safely." The parade, which started...
Rounding Second, 'I Felt
the Whole Stadium Moving'
Nov 6, 2022 6:41 AM CST
Rounding Second, 'I Felt the Whole Stadium Moving'
Watch the big home run from Yordan Alvarez of the Astros to help his team win the World Series
- The Houston Astros are the new world champs , and a dramatic moment in the sixth inning of Saturday night's decisive World Series game is a big reason why. With the Astros trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the 6th, Yordan Alvarez crushed a three-run home run 450 feet to...
Houston Astros Win First
World Series Since
Nov 5, 2022 10:48 PM CDT
Houston Astros Win First World Series Since Cheating Scandal
They beat the Philadelphia Phillies 4-1 in game 6
- Yordan Alvarez hit a towering go-ahead homer and the Houston Astros clinched their second World Series title in six seasons, snagging Dusty Baker his first crown as a manager with a 4-1 win over the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 6 on Saturday night, the AP reports. As Alvarez's 450-foot...
Verlander Gets First
World Series Win as
Astros Take Lead
Nov 4, 2022 4:06 AM CDT
Verlander Gets First World Series Win as Astros Take Lead
They beat Phillies 3-2 in Game 5
- Justin Verlander beamed like a first-time big leaguer, and the Houston Astros feted the 244-game winner like a baby-faced rookie. "They put me in the cart and rolled me in the shower and just doused me with all sorts of stuff," the pitcher said. "And it was...
Pitch 2nd No-Hitter
in World Series History
Nov 3, 2022 4:12 AM CDT
Javier, Astros Pitch 2nd No-Hitter in World Series History
Series is tied after 5-0 win over Phillies
- Hammered the night before, Cristian Javier and the Houston Astros desperately needed to figure how to keep Bryce Harper and the Phillies in the ballpark. How about a no-hitter, would that do? Javier and Houston's bullpen combined on just the second no-hitter in World Series history, silencing a booming...
If the Astros Win It All, He'll
Win a Staggering Amount
Nov 2, 2022 8:12 AM CDT
If the Astros Win It All, He'll Win a Staggering Amount
Jim McIngvale could walk away with the largest payout on a single legal sports bet
- The Phillies are up 2-1 in the World Series, and there's probably one American who's hoping more than most that the tides change: a prolific Texas gambler with a knack for attention-getting bets, who stands to win nearly $75 million if the Houston Astros win the World Series....
Phillies World Series Tickets
Now Cost an Average of $3.2K
Oct 25, 2022 5:47 PM CDT
Phillies World Series Tickets Now Cost an Average of $3.2K
Ticket reseller says only higher average price on record was for the Cubs in 2016
- The Philadelphia Phillies will take on the Houston Astros in this year's World Series —and while this is the Astros' fourth World Series since 2017, it's the first for the Phillies since 2009, and demand for tickets is red-hot. CNBC reports that according to reseller TicketIQ, the...
We Have a New
World Series Matchup
Oct 24, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
We Have a New World Series Matchup
Houston and Philly will meet in baseball's big game
- Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber breaking the Bank in Philly. Yordan Alvarez launching moonshots in H-Town. Dusty Baker trying for a most elusive win. Justin Verlander, too. A fired-up Harper and All-Stars JT Realmuto and Zack Wheeler, stepping onto baseball's biggest platform for the first time. Yo! The Philadelphia...
'Blows My Mind'
Oct 27, 2021 9:31 AM CDT
Braves Pitcher's Injured Move 'Blows My Mind'
Charlie Morton kept pitching on broken leg in Game 1 of the World Series
- Charlie Morton spun a curveball past Jose Altuve for a called third strike, his 16th pitch after taking a 102mph comebacker off his right leg. Morton stumbled and started to fall. Turns out the leg was broken. Morton's right fibula was fractured by Yuli Gurriel's one-hop screamer leading...
Apologizes for Apparent
Oct 9, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
MLB Announcer Apologizes for Apparent Slavery Reference
Jim Kaat made '40-acre field' remark about White Sox's Yoan Moncada during Friday playoff game
- In the first inning during a playoff game Friday between the Chicago White Sox and Houston Astros, Jim Kaat made an on-air remark about one of Chicago's players that he says was meant to be praise. By the fifth inning, the MLB Network announcer was offering up his apologies....
Aug 5, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Stroke Ended the All-Star Career of JR Richard
Astros star later overcame homelessness
- JR Richard, a star starting pitcher for the Houston Astros during the 1970s whose career was ended by a stroke, died Wednesday. He was 71, Click2Houston reports. In a statement, the Astros said Richard "will forever be remembered as an intimidating figure on the mound and as one of...
Technology Could End
Sign Stealing in Baseball
Jul 24, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Technology Could End Sign Stealing in Baseball
Electronic transmitter would wirelessly connect pitcher and catcher
- Catchers' signals—and stealing them—could become a relic if an experimental electronic device is successful. Major League Baseball will give catchers in the Low A West league the option starting Aug. 3 to use a 12-button transmitter that can be strapped with Velcro around a catcher's wristband. Receivers...
Out With Sons
at MLB Game
Jul 9, 2021 7:40 AM CDT
Dad's Night Out With Sons at MLB Game Turns Tragic
Police: Fatal shooting of David Castro after Astros game may have been tied to road rage
- A teen shot in the head in a possible road-rage incident on his way home from a Houston Astros game with his dad and brother has died, his family confirms. Paul Castro tells CNN his son David, 17, was taken off life support and declared dead Thursday afternoon. Castro says...
'Toy Cannon' Launched
Rockets for the Astros
Mar 31, 2020 8:30 PM CDT
'Toy Cannon' Launched Rockets for the Astros
Jimmy Wynn was known for hitting long, long home runs
- Jimmy Wynn, the diminutive Houston slugger whose monster shots in the 1960s and '70s earned him the popular nickname “The Toy Cannon," has died. He was 78. The Astros said the three-time All-Star outfielder died Thursday in Houston, per the AP , but did not provide further details....
Baseball Is Being Sued—
by Fantasy Players
Feb 25, 2020 6:00 PM CST
Baseball Is Being Sued— by Fantasy Players
They say their bets were tainted by the Astros' cheating
- The MLB is urging a judge to dismiss a class-action lawsuit brought by five fans who say their fantasy baseball scores suffered because the Houston Astros stole signs . The plaintiffs are suing the MLB, MLB Advanced Media, the Astros, and the Boston Red Sox (also accused of stealing signs ),...
MLB Commissioner Explains
Punishment Handed to Astros
Feb 17, 2020 7:12 AM CST
MLB Commissioner Explains Punishment Handed to Astros
Says the players did pay a price, but that a formal punishment wouldn't stick
- Houston Astros manager AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow were suspended for the 2020 season (and fired by the Astros) and the team paid a $5 million fine in connection with its 2017 sign-stealing cheating scandal . For anyone who thinks that's not punishment enough and that the team's...
Feb 13, 2020 10:55 AM CST
Astros Apologize, Say Cheating Didn't Affect World Series
Star Bregman 'sorry about the choices that were made by our team, the organization, and by me'
- It's time for spring training, and the Houston Astros' first order of business Thursday was a series of apologies for their high-tech cheating . Owner Jim Crane, manager Dusty Baker, and star players Alex Bregman and Jose Altuve all read prepared statements to the media about the sign-stealing mess, reports...
Pitcher Sues Astros
Feb 10, 2020 4:32 PM CST
Pitcher Sues Astros for Cheating
Houston was stealing signs when it hit Mike Bolsinger hard in a game that ended his career
- Newly converted to a reliever, Mike Bolsinger was trying to hold onto his roster spot with the Toronto Blue Jays when he took the mound in Houston on Aug. 4, 2017. He got just one out, as seven of the eight batters to come to the plate reached base. Bolsinger...
2 Sets of
Feb 5, 2020 4:15 PM CST
Pete Rose: Baseball Clearly Has 2 Sets of Rules
The baseball giant makes his case for reinstatement to MLB
- Houston Astros players go unpunished, and I'm still on the outs? Come on. That's pretty much Pete Rose's argument in a 19-page letter submitted by his lawyers Wednesday to MLB commissioner Rob Manfred, ESPN reports. The lawyers call Rose's punishment "vastly disproportionate" to that of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.