Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Her Way Up the
Ladder. Now, Jail
Sep 21, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Gina Lonestar created phony invoices from a fake vendor to the tune of $1.7M, prosecutors say
- A former Men's Wearhouse executive is going to prison for nearly two years after pleading guilty to embezzling $1.7 million from the clothing giant and its parent, Tailored Brands. CBS News reports that 52-year-old Gina Suzanne Lonestar was sentenced to 22 months behind bars on a wire fraud...
Man Who 'Repeatedly' Enabled
Alex Murdaugh Gets 7 Years
Aug 2, 2023 8:22 AM CDT
Man Who 'Repeatedly' Enabled Alex Murdaugh Gets 7 Years
Russell Laffitte was found guilty of wire and bank fraud in November
- The man who once headed a highly respected bank in the South Carolina Lowcountry will spend seven years in federal prison for helping convicted murderer Alex Murdaugh steal nearly $2 million from clients' legal settlements. Russell Laffitte was sentenced Tuesday after a jury found him guilty of six charges related...
She Left a Holocaust Survivor
'Penniless and Betrayed'
Jul 28, 2023 12:25 PM CDT
She Left a Holocaust Survivor 'Penniless and Betrayed'
Peaches Stergo, who stole $2.8M from him, is handed a 51-month sentence
- The Florida woman who "deceived an 87-year-old Holocaust survivor, maliciously draining his life savings so she could become a millionaire through fraud," will pay for her crime. Peaches Stergo, 36, pleaded guilty to wire fraud in April and was on Thursday sentenced to four years and three months...
Man Could Get 280 Years for
Widespread 'Psychic' Scheme
Jun 21, 2023 2:39 PM CDT
Man Could Get 280 Years for Widespread 'Psychic' Scheme
Patrice Runner was behind mailing of 56M letters promising personal fortunes, for a fee
- More than 1 million Americans were fooled into paying a so-called psychic who reached out with vague predictions about coming fortunes, per the
. But the person behind the signature and photograph of Maria Duval and other psychics was actually a Canadian man who defrauded his victims of $175...
Man Who Set Fire to Own
Property Hears His Fate
Jun 9, 2023 7:07 AM CDT
Man Who Set Fire to Own Property Hears His Fate
Denis Molla, who initially blamed antifa for arson, gets 30 months in prison after Minnesota blaze
- A Minnesota man was sentenced Thursday to 30 months behind bars after setting fire to his own property to claim insurance money, and initially blaming the September 2020 arson on antifa. Per court documents cited by CBS News , Denis Vladmirovich Molla, 29, who'd first claimed that someone had torched...
Feds: $100M Scheme Sought
to License Untrained Nurses
Jan 27, 2023 2:10 PM CST
Feds: $100M Scheme Sought to License Untrained Nurses
More than 7.6K fake diplomas allegedly issued over 5 years in South Florida
- "There are over 7,600 people around the country with fraudulent nursing credentials who are potentially in critical health care roles treating patients," FBI Miami Special Agent in Charge Chad Yarbrough said this week. His warning came as the Justice Department announced charges related to three accredited nursing...
Former Rep. TJ Cox
Arrested by the FBI
Aug 16, 2022 8:14 PM CDT
Former Rep. TJ Cox Arrested by the FBI
California Democrat faces dozens of fraud charges
- Former Rep. TJ Cox served one term in the House, from Jan. 2019 to Jan. 2021. The California Democrat will be serving a lot more time than that in federal prison if he's convicted of all of the fraud charges he's facing. The FBI says Cox was arrested...
If You Get a Call From
'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
Jun 21, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
If You Get a Call From 'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
$13M has been stolen from the elderly in a rare-wine scam
- The world of fine wine and whiskey continues to be a magnet for thieves and frauds . The
reports on allegations that three England-based companies claiming huge returns on investments in rare booze actually stole more than $13 million from at least 150 Americans—many of them elderly. Representatives...
Alleged PPP Fraudster
Blew $2.5M on Cars, Crypto
Jun 9, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
Alleged PPP Fraudster Blew $2.5M on Cars, Crypto
Vinicius Santana of Florida allegedly bought 2 cars and a home with his $2.5M loan
- Authorities say the former owner of a Massachusetts painting business fraudulently received $2.5 million in loans meant to assist small businesses during the pandemic before buying cars and a home and investing in cryptocurrency. Vinicius Santana, 34, was arrested Monday at Miami International Airport, not far from where he...
Prosecutors: Ex-Yale Worker
Swiped $40M in Electronics
Mar 30, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Prosecutors: Ex-Yale Worker Swiped $40M in Electronics
Jamie Petrone pleaded guilty to wire fraud, which could land her in jail for up to 20 years
- For nearly a decade, Jamie Petrone had the ability, in her role as an administrator for the Yale School of Medicine, to place orders for computers and other electronics for the school's Department of Emergency Medicine. Prosecutors say that routine administrative task turned into a yearslong scheme that brought...
Cash Used to
Pay for Exec's
Feb 23, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Scholarship Cash Used to Pay for Exec's Dating Sites: Prosecutors
Mary Wickersham is also accused of using pageant scholarship funds for maid services, meals out
- The Miss Florida Scholarship Program was designed to distribute funds to young women coming up through the beauty pageant world, but prosecutors say that for Mary Wickersham, an ex-executive director for the nonprofit, it was a personal piggy bank used to buy an array of goods and services for herself....
Phony 'Hollywood Success
Story' Sentenced to 20 Years
Feb 15, 2022 11:21 AM CST
Phony 'Hollywood Success Story' Sentenced to 20 Years
Actor Zachary Horwitz, aka Zach Avery, hears his fate after bilking investors in $650M Ponzi scheme
A Hollywood actor accused of running a multimillion-dollar Ponzi scheme was sentenced Monday to 20 years behind bars in federal prison, reports CNN Business . Per a DOJ release , Zachary Horwitz (aka Zach Avery), 35, was ordered by Judge Mark C. Scarsi, of the US District Court for the Central...
Gambling Nun to Serve Year
Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
Feb 8, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Gambling Nun to Serve Year Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
'I have no excuses,' says Sister Mary Margaret Kreuper, who stole $835K from Catholic school
A California nun and retired principal who embezzled $835,000 in donations, tuition, and fees from a Catholic elementary school will now have to pay it all back and serve a year behind bars. "I have sinned, I've broken the law, and I have no excuses,"...
Dec 8, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Holmes Ends Her Testimony With Denials
Defense rests, but closing arguments won't take place till Dec. 16
- The defense wrapped up its case in Elizabeth Holmes' trial Wednesday with her declaration that she didn't mislead investors in her blood tech startup—"Never," she said. "You understand they were entitled to truthful answers about Theranos' capabilities?" a prosecutor asked. "Of course," Holmes...
PPP Fraudster Learns
'There Is No Easy Money'
Nov 30, 2021 10:15 AM CST
PPP Fraudster Learns 'There Is No Easy Money'
Texas' Lee Price III gets 9 years for wire fraud, money laundering
- A Texas man who fraudulently received $1.6 million in COVID-19 relief money, then bought a $200,000 Lamborghini and a Rolex, has been sentenced to more than nine years in prison. Lee Price III of Houston was sentenced to nine years and two months in prison on Monday after...
Couple Nailed in $20M COVID
Funds Scheme on the Run
Nov 19, 2021 12:48 PM CST
Couple Nailed in $20M COVID Funds Scheme on the Run
Richard Ayvazyan, Marietta Terabelian left note for their kids before vanishing in August
- Earlier this year, Richard Ayvazyan and Marietta Terabelian faced the music in a scheme to steal upward of $20 million in COVID relief funds, after using the money to finance upscale homes, jewelry and watches, gold coins, and other luxury goods. The Southern California husband and wife pleaded guilty at...
Maryland Man Pleads Guilty
in COVID Vaccine Scam
Nov 1, 2021 7:41 AM CDT
Maryland Man Pleads Guilty in COVID Vaccine Scam
Fake site set up to look just like Moderna's offered supposed doses for $30 a pop, feds say
- Earlier this year, before COVID vaccines were readily available to eligible patients, a website suddenly popped up advertising Moderna doses for $30 each. That site turned out to be a fake, and now a Maryland man has owned up to his role in getting it up and running. The
Coupons Get Virginia Woman
$400K and 12 Years in Prison
Sep 18, 2021 9:59 AM CDT
Coupons Get Virginia Woman $400K and 12 Years in Prison
Once caught, the woman, who went by MasterChef, explained the scam to investigators
- A Virginia Beach woman is going to prison for 12 years in a massive couponing scam. Lori Ann Talens designed counterfeit coupons at home, complete with product photos and working barcodes, the
reports. Because coupons are so widely distributed and thus don’t each have unique barcodes, they’re...
in Major Con
Jun 1, 2021 11:35 AM CDT
Retired FBI Agent Accused in Major Con
Authorities say William Stone bilked woman out of $800K
- A month after retiring from the Dallas field office, an FBI agent allegedly began a yearslong fraud scheme that earned him more than $800,000—and potentially up to 178 years in federal prison. William Roy Stone Jr., 62, is charged with wire fraud, impersonating a federal officer, and other...
Coach Was Fired
Conduct.' Then a
Sick Scheme Emerged
Apr 8, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Coach Was Fired for 'Inappropriate Conduct.' Then a Sick Scheme Emerged
Steve Waithe allegedly fooled students into sending him nude photos
- A former track and field coach at Northeastern University amassed 300 nude and semi-nude images of student athletes using an elaborate scheme involving social media, according to prosecutors. Steve Waithe, 28, of Chicago—who's also coached at the University of Tennessee, Penn State, the Illinois Institute of Technology, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
Woman Has Struggled to Prove She's Not Dead for 16 Years
One Sign Haley Is Gaining Traction: Trump Goes on Attack
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.