Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Navy Fighter Jet
Crashes, Killing Pilot
Jun 4, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Navy Fighter Jet Crashes, Killing Pilot
F/A-18E Super Hornet went down Friday in Southern California desert
- A Navy fighter jet crashed Friday in the Southern California desert, killing the pilot, authorities said. An F/A-18E Super Hornet based at Naval Air Station Lemoore went down at about 2:30pm in the area of Trona, an unincorporated Mojave Desert community in San Bernardino County, the Navy announced in...
Miracle in Florida: 'I Have
No Idea How to Fly the Airplane'
May 11, 2022 6:53 AM CDT
Miracle in Florida: 'I Have No Idea How to Fly the Airplane'
Man with no piloting experience safely lands Cessna after pilot is incapacitated
- A man got a crash course in flying an airplane this week, luckily minus the crashing. A passenger in a single-engine Cessna 208 was forced to land the plane at Palm Beach International Airport on Tuesday afternoon after the pilot had an apparent medical emergency on the way back from...
Passenger Jet Turns Back
Over Pilot's Certification
May 5, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
Passenger Jet Turns Back Over Pilot's Certification
Virgin Atlantic co-pilot hadn't taken his final assessment flight with the airline
- As far as reasons go for a passenger jet having to turn around midflight, it's a weird one. A Virgin Atlantic flight returned to UK's Heathrow Airport after 40 minutes because the co-pilot technically wasn't qualified to fly, reports the BBC . It may sound worse than it...
Report: EgyptAir Crash Likely
Caused by Pilot's Cigarette
Apr 28, 2022 10:44 AM CDT
Report: EgyptAir Crash Likely Caused by Pilot's Cigarette
Terrorism was initially blamed for 2016 crash that killed 66; French investigators found otherwise
- Smoke was detected on EgyptAir Flight 804 shortly before it plunged into the Mediterranean on May 19, 2016, killing all 66 aboard, and initial analyses pointed toward terrorism. Now, a report from French investigators points to something far less nefarious: a fire caused by a cigarette smoked by one...
He Flew for 2 Years
Then, the Press of
a Wrong Button
in case you missed it
Apr 9, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
He Flew for 2 Years Unsuspected. Then, the Press of a Wrong Button
British Airways pilot Craig Butfoy jailed after faking flying experience
- Who knows how things would've worked out for Craig Butfoy, and the passengers on the planes he piloted, if he simply hadn't pressed a wrong button one day at work. That button press, as it turns out, led to questions being asked, and then a startling revelation: The...
At 19, She's Inspiring New
Generation of Women to Fly
Jan 20, 2022 12:50 PM CST
At 19, She's Inspiring New Generation of Women to Fly
Belgium-British teen Zara Rutherford becomes youngest woman to fly solo around the world
- Zara Rutherford just completed a string of firsts. Foremost, the British-Belgian dual citizen, who got her first pilot license in 2020, became the youngest woman to fly around the world solo on Thursday. At just 19, she beat the record held by American Shaesta Waiz, who was 30 when she...
'I Think We're Making History,'
Pilot Said. Then He Crashed
Nov 18, 2021 10:40 AM CST
'I Think We're Making History,' Pilot Said. Then He Crashed
Marc Olson died Tuesday during pioneer mission to battle Colorado wildfire at night
- A pilot who'd flown for 42 years—32 of those spent in the Army and Air Force— died Tuesday during a pioneering effort to fight a Colorado wildfire at night. Marc Thor Olson of CO Fire Aviation successfully completed a water drop over the Kruger Rock Fire in Larimer...
Pilot Cited for Assault
After Mask Dispute
Nov 3, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Pilot Cited for Assault After Mask Dispute
This one erupted between Southwest crew members at San Jose hotel bar
- A Southwest Airlines flight crew was enjoying an evening at a hotel bar in California last month when a mask dispute erupted between a flight attendant and a pilot, who's now accused of assault. An airline rep told
there was a "crew disagreement during an overnight...
for First Time
Nov 1, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
Electric Plane Crosses Strait for First Time
New Zealand pilot had power left over
- As he made history by becoming the first person to fly across New Zealand's Cook Strait in an electric plane, Gary Freedman thought it only fitting that the first thing he saw when approaching the Wellington coastline was the rotating blade of a wind turbine producing renewable energy. Freedman'...
Hot Mic Picks Up Pilot
Ranting Against Liberals
Mar 26, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Hot Mic Picks Up Pilot Ranting Against Liberals
And Hyundais, in Southwest Airlines audio caught on air traffic control scanner
- Rule No. 1 of wearing a microphone: Always assume it's a hot one. A Southwest Airlines pilot found that out the hard way after his rant against liberals and a certain car manufacturer got picked up by air traffic control. Per travel site One Mile at a Time , the...
Feds Lay Out Final Moments
in Kobe Bryant Crash
Feb 9, 2021 10:09 AM CST
Feds Lay Out Final Moments in Kobe Bryant Crash
NTSB says pilot apparently became disoriented in clouds before crashing
- US safety investigators said Tuesday the pilot of Kobe Bryant's helicopter flew through the clouds last year in an apparent violation of federal standards, likely becoming disoriented just before the helicopter crashed and killed Bryant and eight others, per the AP . Pilot Ara Zobayan was flying under visual flight...
Country Sees First COVID
Transmission in 8 Months
Dec 22, 2020 7:23 AM CST
Country Sees First COVID Transmission in 8 Months
Contact tracing is underway in Taiwan
- For 253 days, Taiwan avoided any local transmission of COVID-19. But that impressive streak came to an end Tuesday with news that a woman in her 30s had tested positive after close contact with a pilot who’d flown to the US. The pilot, a New Zealand man in his...
He Was Taking
Off on Suicide
the War Ended
Dec 3, 2020 12:47 PM CST
He Was Taking Off on Suicide Mission When the War Ended
Kamikaze pilot Kazuo Odachi is telling his story
- He's a 93-year-old former fighter pilot for Japan, but Kazuo Odachi has one more highly unusual entry on his military resume. He was a kamikaze pilot and thus not supposed to survive World War II. But as the
New York Times
explains, Odachi did indeed survive and has begun...
Guess Which Team
This Pilot Likes
Oct 23, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
Guess Which Team This Pilot Likes
He completes a rather complicated Bills logo in the sky over Buffalo
- Pilots have been known to get creative with their flight paths, sometimes to convey a friendly message and sometimes for, er, less noble purposes . On Friday, a pilot in Buffalo used a flight to celebrate his beloved Bills, reports WGRZ . Flight-tracking radar via FlightAware shows his small plane etching the...
He Left His Room for 3 Hours.
He Got 4 Weeks in Jail
May 15, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
He Left His Room for 3 Hours. He Got 4 Weeks in Jail
Singapore jails US pilot for breaching quarantine
- An American FedEx pilot has become the first foreigner jailed for breaching Singapore's strict quarantine regulations. Alaska resident Brian Yeargan, 44, and two co-pilots were told to spend 14 days isolated in an airport hotel before entering the city after arriving from Australia on April 3. They had planned...
Brother of Pilot Flying Kobe's
Copter: It Was Kobe, Gigi's Fault
May 12, 2020 6:26 AM CDT
Brother of Pilot Flying Kobe's Copter: It Was Kobe, Gigi's Fault
Berge Zobayan says passengers on brother Ara Zobayan's chopper knew the risks, were negligent
- More than one lawsuit has been filed in the case of the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash, but it's his widow's wrongful death complaint that has the brother of the pilot pushing back. CNN reports that on Friday, Berge Zobayan filed a seven-page response to Vanessa Bryant's suit,...
Bryant Pilot Had
Feb 22, 2020 6:30 AM CST
Report: Kobe Bryant Pilot Had 2015 Weather- Related Infraction
Ara Zobayan had been disciplined by FAA for entering LAX airspace without the OK
- The pilot of the helicopter that crashed in Calabasas last month, killing Kobe Bryant , his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, and seven others, took heat in 2015 from the Federal Aviation Administration for entering busy airspace near Los Angeles International Airport, even though air traffic control had warned him from doing so....
Cops: Man Pointed Lasers
at Planes at Florida Airport
Jan 27, 2020 7:06 AM CST
Cops: Man Pointed Lasers at Planes at Florida Airport
Police charge man over incidents at Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport
- Police say a man at Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport pointed a laser at planes trying to land—and in one case, the pilot of a small aircraft reports being temporarily blinded. When a helicopter from the Manatee County Sheriff's Office zeroed in on the man, he pointed the laser at...
City of Denver to Pony Up for
Wrongfully Arrested Nude Pilot
Nov 13, 2019 7:34 AM CST
City of Denver to Pony Up for Wrongfully Arrested Nude Pilot
Andrew Collins may still sue airport hotel after indecent exposure charges were dropped
- Andrew Collins has long insisted he did nothing wrong by standing naked at his hotel window overlooking Denver International Airport—and now, his lawyer says, it's payback time for the trouble he's endured since. NBC News reports the city of Denver has settled with Collins and will pay...
Against 2 Pilots
Oct 26, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Attendant Makes Incredible Accusation Against 2 Pilots
Renee Steinaker is suing Southwest Airlines
- Flying Southwest? You might be on candid camera. A Southwest Airlines attendant claims she saw two pilots watching livestream video of the plane's lavatory during a 2017 flight,
reports. In a lawsuit, Renee Steinaker says she noticed the livestream on a cockpit iPad while the captain took...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Emmett Till's Family Finds 1955 Warrant, Calls for Arrest
Donald Trump No Longer in Contempt
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.