Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 3,175,545+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Left His Room for 3 Hours. He Got 4 Weeks in Jail
Singapore jails US pilot for breaching quarantine
- An American FedEx pilot has become the first foreigner jailed for breaching Singapore's strict quarantine regulations. Alaska resident Brian Yeargan, 44, and two co-pilots were told to spend 14 days isolated in an airport hotel before entering the city after arriving from Australia on April 3. They had planned...
Brother of Pilot Flying Kobe's Copter: It Was Kobe, Gigi's Fault
Berge Zobayan says passengers on brother Ara Zobayan's chopper knew the risks, were negligent
- More than one lawsuit has been filed in the case of the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash, but it's his widow's wrongful death complaint that has the brother of the pilot pushing back. CNN reports that on Friday, Berge Zobayan filed a seven-page response to Vanessa Bryant's suit,...
Report: Kobe Bryant Pilot Had 2015 Weather- Related Infraction
Ara Zobayan had been disciplined by FAA for entering LAX airspace without the OK
- The pilot of the helicopter that crashed in Calabasas last month, killing Kobe Bryant , his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, and seven others, took heat in 2015 from the Federal Aviation Administration for entering busy airspace near Los Angeles International Airport, even though air traffic control had warned him from doing so....
Cops: Man Pointed Lasers at Planes at Florida Airport
Police charge man over incidents at Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport
- Police say a man at Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport pointed a laser at planes trying to land—and in one case, the pilot of a small aircraft reports being temporarily blinded. When a helicopter from the Manatee County Sheriff's Office zeroed in on the man, he pointed the laser at...
City of Denver to Pony Up for Wrongfully Arrested Nude Pilot
Andrew Collins may still sue airport hotel after indecent exposure charges were dropped
- Andrew Collins has long insisted he did nothing wrong by standing naked at his hotel window overlooking Denver International Airport—and now, his lawyer says, it's payback time for the trouble he's endured since. NBC News reports the city of Denver has settled with Collins and will pay...
Attendant Makes Incredible Accusation Against 2 Pilots
Renee Steinaker is suing Southwest Airlines
- Flying Southwest? You might be on candid camera. A Southwest Airlines attendant claims she saw two pilots watching livestream video of the plane's lavatory during a 2017 flight,
reports. In a lawsuit, Renee Steinaker says she noticed the livestream on a cockpit iPad while the captain took...
First-Time Student to Traffic Control: My Teacher's Out Cold
Max Sylvester tries to land a Cessna two-seater in Australia
- A flying lesson took a chilling turn Saturday when the flight instructor passed out on his student pilot in mid-air, ABC News Australia reports. "He's leaning over my shoulder, I'm trying to keep him up but he keeps falling down," Max Sylvester told traffic control at...
184 Survived 'Non-Survivable' Plane Crash, Thanks to Him
'Humble' hero, former United Airlines pilot Al Haynes has died
- Al Haynes was credited with saving 184 lives, but up to his death Sunday in Seattle at age 87, he continually shrugged off the label of hero. Haynes—the pilot of United Airlines Flight 232, which crash-landed in Iowa on July 19, 1989, killing 112 of 296 passengers and crew—...
Politician Tweets Praise for Pilot's Feat ... in 'GTA 5'
'GTA 5' does have pretty realistic graphics—enough to fool this Pakistani politician
- "Narrow escape of an aircraft which could have ended in a great disaster. Miraculous save by the pilot's presence of mind." Any pilot would be pleased to receive such kudos from a high-up politician. But Vice reports there was one problem when Khurram Nawaz Gandapur, secretary-general of...
NYC Helicopter Pilot 'Shouldn't Have Flown'
FAA says he wasn't rated to fly in poor visibility
- Tim McCormack, the helicopter pilot who died in a crash-landing atop a Manhattan high-rise Monday, shouldn't have been in the air at all in that afternoon's cloudy weather conditions, the Federal Aviation Administration says. An FAA spokeswoman says the 58-year-old was not "instrument rated," meaning he...
Alleged Killer: I Wanted Victim to Live, Despite Affair With Wife
Christian R. Martin said Calvin Phillips would've defended him in court
- One of the three people Christian R. Martin is accused of killing in 2015 had been set to testify in a court-martial stemming from allegations of physical and sexual abuse and the mishandling of classified information, levied by Martin's ex-wife, Joan Harmon. Martin, an Army major turned pilot, would...
Pilot Arrested at Airport in Triple Homicide
Christian R. Martin nabbed in Louisville, accused of killing 3 people in 2015
- A pilot for an American Airlines subsidiary was arrested Saturday in the 2015 shooting deaths of three people in Kentucky. Christian R. Martin was arrested at the Louisville airport, a day after he was indicted by a Christian County grand jury in the November 2015 deaths of Calvin and Pamela...
They Say Their Layover at the Beach Turned Into a Nightmare
Jane Does 1 and 2 are suing JetBlue, 2 pilots after allegedly being drugged, raped
- The women sipped from a can of beer, and the "rest of the night became a blur." So reads a lawsuit filed Monday by two JetBlue flight attendants, who claim they were drugged and one of them sexually assaulted—by JetBlue pilots. The suit describes Jane Doe 1...
Pakistan Keeps Promise, Lets Indian Fighter Pilot Go
Abhinandan Varthaman upon returning to India: 'It is good to be back'
- Imran Khan has kept his promise. On Thursday, Pakistan's prime minister vowed to release Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman, who'd been captured after his MiG-21 jet was shot down Wednesday by a Pakistani fighter over the disputed Kashmir territory. And on Friday, Khan made good, with video showing the...
Minutes Before Takeoff From London to Philly, Pilot Arrested
The 62-year-old appeared intoxicated right before the late-morning flight
- If you were booked on Flight AA35 out of the UK's Manchester Airport on Thursday morning, you may have been annoyed at your last-minute rebooking. Reading the news Friday, however, should ease your mind that the right call was made.
reports that the American Airlines flight to...
Pilot Glides Right Past Destination While Napping: Officials
Aussie authorities say plane missed its mark by 30 miles or so before pilot woke up, turned around
- The plane's destination: King Island, Tasmania. Where the pilot ended up: not King Island, Tasmania—at least not at first—after officials say the pilot took a snooze and overshot the planned landing by 30 miles or so. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is citing the pilot's "...
Pilot in Hot Water After Giving Airport-Goers an Eyeful
Andrew Collins stood in front of his hotel room window in the buff
- Capt. Andrew Collins doesn't deny he stood in his birthday suit in front of his hotel window at Denver International Airport in September. He just didn't think anyone could see him, he now tells the
. But the 54-year-old United Airlines pilot was definitely visible to a...
Insult Reportedly Frazzled Pilot Before Fatal Crash
Inquiry suggests he suffered a breakdown, distracted the pilot at the controls in Nepal
- A former Bangladesh air force pilot was in the midst of an emotional breakdown when an airliner crashed in Nepal's capital in March, killing 51 people, according to a leaked copy of the draft investigation report. It says US-Bangla Airlines Captain Abid Sultan appeared to "suffer an emotional...
Pilot Who Crashed Into Own House Was 'Golden'
'We thoroughly trusted' company pilot Duane Youd 'beyond measure,' says firm's president
- A man who died when he flew a plane into his own house after he had been arrested for assaulting his wife had full access to his employer's plane because he had earned the firm's trust, the president of Utah engineering company VanCon Inc. said Tuesday. Duane Youd,...
Pilot's Mistake Triggers 'Nightmare' for Passengers
JetBlue flight's hijack alarm traced to incorrect code
- Some 150 passengers waiting to take off from New York's JFK Airport got quite the scare Tuesday when a pilot accidentally triggered a hijacking alarm. "Woah. My worst nightmare," passenger Alexa Curtis tweeted alongside photos of authorities surrounding and searching JetBlue Flight 1623 ahead of departure to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cohen 'Had Rug Pulled Out From Under Him' in Prison Stunner
CEO Says US Is 'Blessed' to Have Trump, Spurs Boycott
Lawyer: Pandemic Has Wrecked De Niro's Finances
Report: Feds Are Working Hard to Prevent Maxwell Suicide
Barbados Has an Offer for Foreigners
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.