Sure, you’ve got health insurance, car insurance and homeowner’s insurance, but do you have alien abduction insurance? One company actually offers such coverage, and it’s the top entry on Asylum’s list of the wackiest policies ever devised. Here’s the list:
- Immaculate Conception: Three Scottish virgins were so convinced that God might impregnate them that they took out a policy that would pay them $1.5 million if it happened.
- Chest Hair: An unknown celebrity asked an insurance company to insure his manly chest rug for $7 million. Alas, he never took out the policy.
- Giant Crab: When the Birmingham Sea Life aquarium took possession of a gigantic Japanese spider crab measuring 10-feet across, they assured the public is wasn’t dangerous—then took out a $1.5 million policy against visitor death or dismemberment.
- Thailand Riots: To reassure tourists about their eminently safe country, the Thai government is offering visitors riot insurance.
- Alien Abduction: British Insurance has made $3 million selling this policy to gullible Californians. But the company’s managing director admits it’s a joke. “Let’s face it,” he says, “insurance is so tedious that if I can enlighten my dreary life with a bit of humor every now and again, I will.”