Miners Already Breaking 'Blood Pact'
Many willing to talk to media—for a price
By Matt Cantor,  Newser User
Posted Oct 18, 2010 12:34 PM CDT
In this image released by the Navy of Chile via La Tercera newspaper on Saturday Oct. 16, 2010, trapped miner Edison Pena, right, is checked as he waits his turn to be lifted to the surface.   (AP Photo/Armada de Chile, via La Tercera)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – While they were trapped, the Chilean miners signed a "blood pact" stating that they’d keep the details of their experience to themselves. But information has spilled as many consent to interviews—though rarely for free, the New York Times reports. “We’re poor—look at the place we live,” said the wife of one miner. “You live off our stories, so why can’t we make money from this opportunity to feed our children?” Miners have reportedly requested anywhere from $40 to $25,000 for interviews. “We paid $500,” said a Japanese newspaper reporter who spoke with the first man to exit the mine. “And it felt like he was withholding details.”

The wife of another said they were taking cash only; the family had already been promised plenty of trips and gifts. Another miner, Mario Sepúlveda, reportedly has an interview in the works with ABC and offered plenty of information to Britain’s Daily Mail, relating tales of darkness, dirty living conditions, and tearful moments. But the miners are by no means all comfortable with the media. “I’ve had nightmares these days,” said one to a throng of reporters. “But the worst nightmare is all of you.”