So you’re stressed? So what. Everybody’s stressed. But who wins the stress Olympics? The Daily Beast set out to find out, compiling various stress studies. A smattering of the findings:
- Detroit is the most stressed-out city, based on unemployment rate, crime rate, sunshine, and other economic indicators. Salt Lake City, incidentally, is the least stressful.
- Firefighters have the most stressful jobs, according to one report, closely followed by corporate executive, taxi driver, and surgeon. If you’re looking for a low-stress career, try musical instrument repair.
- Women are more stressed than men, according to one psychological survey, with 8% more reporting “a great deal of stress,” and 11% more reporting stress headaches and upset stomachs.
- Gen-Xers are the most stressed generation, with more than half reporting frequent feelings of anger or irritability.
- Married women report more stress than single ones.
- Babies pushed in forward-facing strollers are probably more stressed out than those who face the person pushing them, according to one researcher, because they’re half as likely to fall asleep, and have higher heart rates.
So, congratulations, married 30-something female firefighter from Detroit! You are the most stressed out person. And if you’re not careful about stroller selection, your babies will probably have the same problem.Try not to stress about it.