Bank of America Denies Being WikiLeaks Target
No proof of upcoming 'megaleak,' spokesman says
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Dec 1, 2010 1:39 AM CST
"We are unaware of any new claims by WikiLeaks that pertain specifically to Bank of America," a bank spokesman said.   (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, file)

(Newser) – Bank of America is firmly denying rumors that it's the target Julian Assange was talking about when he promised a "megaleak" of a financial institution's internal documents. Assange told an interviewer last year that he had "5GB from Bank of America, one of the executive's hard drives." But the bank says there has been no evidence to support the claims by the WikiLeaks founder, CNN reports.

Assange says the bank documents will expose "an ecosystem of corruption" and "could take down a bank or two," although insiders doubt that much more damage could be done to banks already hit by a long series of scandals. "We already know the banks are grossly incompetent, can't manage risk and would be dead without taxpayer support," said a Wall Street money manager. "What are we going to find in these leaks—that free checking isn't really free?"
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
7%
17%
52%
0%
14%
10%