Actor's 2-Story Plunge Halts Spider-Man Play

Flying stunt double's harness snaps in front of horrified audience

By Mary Papenfuss,  Newser Staff

Posted Dec 21, 2010 2:23 AM CST

(Newser) – Broadway's problem-plagued Spider-Man production was halted near the end of the show last night when a stunt double's flying harness snapped, dropping him two stories into a stage pit, according to witnesses The audience sat, horrified, as the empty harness swayed over their heads and a woman—likely lead actress Natalie Mendoza—began sobbing and screaming: "Call 911." Miraculously, the 31-year-old stuntman may not be seriously injured. "All signs were good as he was taken to the hospital," said a spokesman for the $65 million musical production, Turn Off the Dark, which is in previews.

The rep said the performer fell about 10 feet, but audience members said it could have been as much as 30 feet, reports the New York Daily News. It was the third accident since previews started last month. An actor broke both wrists and another broke his foot doing a slingshot flying technique across the stage, and Mendoza got a concussion early this month when a rope struck her in the head. The play's opening has been delayed until February.

The Spiderman balloon lies on the ground before the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York last month.   (AP Photo/Tina Fineberg)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
11%
17%
5%
15%
2%
49%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   MSN Living   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   Biography   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!