Avatar made more than $2.5 billion dollars worldwide—despite the fact that it was the most pirated movie of 2010. The details:
- Avatar (16.6 million illegal downloads)—Avatar also holds the record for most illegal downloads in a year. Last year's most pirated movie, Star Trek, was downloaded 6 million fewer times.
- Kick-Ass (11.4 million)—Kick-Ass had a modest box-office take, earning $96 million worldwide, but was hugely popular among the pirating crowd.
- Inception (9.7 million)—Inception has been out for only 6 months, but still makes No. 3. It could easily surpass Kick-Ass soon.
- Shutter Island (9.5 million)—Leonardo DiCaprio had two of the most pirated movies of 2010. (He was also in Inception.)
- Iron Man 2 (8.8 million)—Iron Man didn't make the most pirated movies list when it was released in 2008, but the sequel lands at No. 5.
Click for the rest of the most pirated movies.