It's a wonder Americans got anything done in 1989 because it was clearly the best year in TV history, observes Sam Greenspan at his 11Points blog. We met Homer, Kramer, and even Urkel. He runs down the list of notable premieres that year:
- The Simpsons: Simply put, the "best show ever."
- Seinfeld: It's still interesting today, and the jokes stand up, making it the "best traditional sitcom ever."
- Saved by the Bell: Screech and crew gave us the "best teen show ever."
- America's Funniest Home Videos: Made camcorders the must-have gadget of the era and paved the way for our YouTube affinity.
- Baywatch: We can only quote here: "Until then, dictionaries actually had to define the word 'gratuitous."
Click to see the full top 11 list
and find out where Urkel and a certain young doctor named Doogie ranked.