4 Burned in Fiery Dessert Disaster
Attempt to make bananas foster table-side goes horribly wrong
By Sarah Whitmire, Newser Staff
Posted Jun 13, 2011 1:17 PM CDT
The table of four really didn't anticipate that much heat with their dessert.   (Shutterstock)

(Newser) – We're guessing this waiter didn't walk away with a tip: A Tampa Bay server's attempt to serve bananas foster table-side ended up burning four diners, two of whom were hospitalized. The mishap happened Saturday night at Ozona Blue Grill in Palm Harbor, reports MyFox Tampa Bay. "The waiter was making a dessert dish that involved alcohol that goes in flames," said a member of Palm Harbor Fire Rescue.

"At one point, he was adding some more liquid to it, or more alcohol to it and it burned back to the bottle. When he lifted the bottle to pull away from it, some of it came out and hit some of the patrons." A 25-year-old female suffered first and second degree burns, and a 56-year-old female had respiratory burns: Both women had to be airlifted to Tampa General Hospital for treatment. The two others who were burned refused treatment.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
4 Burned in Fiery Dessert Disaster is...
4%
24%
2%
7%
3%
60%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 13 comments
CarlKolchak
Jun 14, 2011 10:04 AM CDT
You call this family entertainment...now little jill has a flaming headwound. Cook fresh...yes????
Count-Spatula
Jun 13, 2011 11:54 PM CDT
This administration is soft on flammable desserts! It's an outrage.
Scaramouche
Jun 13, 2011 7:27 PM CDT
This guy better not get prosecuted, sued or fired. It's sad that there's no room left for honest mistakes in a world full of litigators.