Amanda Knox 'Shocked' by Rudy Guede's Accusation
Fellow convict tells court Knox and her boyfriend are guilty
By Matt Cantor,  Newser User
Posted Jun 27, 2011 11:52 AM CDT
Amanda Knox returns after a break in Perugia's court of Appeal during the appeal hearing against her murder conviction on June 27, 2011 in Perugia, Italy.   (Getty Images)
camera-icon View 5 more images

(Newser) – Amanda Knox was “shocked” that a fellow convict in the murder of Meredith Kercher accused her of the crime, she told the court today. Rudy Guede, a drifter from the Ivory Coast, today confirmed a letter he’d written to his lawyers last year blaming the crime on Knox and her ex-boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, reports the AP. Knox was forbidden from speaking until Guede left the court; when he was gone, she told the court she was “shocked and anguished by these declarations,” notes ABC News. “He knows we weren’t there.”

Guede also denied the claims of his former cellmate, who said Guede told him that Knox and Sollecito weren’t present during the murder. Knox said that “Raffaele Sollecito, Guede and I have only been in the same place in a court.” Sollecito added that “I've never seen him, don't know him,” and “don't know how he indicates me with Amanda Knox.” In the coming weeks, the court will examine forensic evidence. “I think the appeal is going great and when we know DNA it will be even better,” said Knox’s mother.