Strauss-Kahn Is Free on Bail
Move comes after questions raised about accuser
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jul 1, 2011 10:07 AM CDT
Updated Jul 1, 2011 11:23 AM CDT
In this June 6, 2011 photo, former IMF leader Dominique Strauss-Kahn, right, appears at his arraignment on charges of sexually assaulting a Manhattan hotel maid, at State Supreme Court in New York.   (Allan Tannenbaum)

(Newser) – Former IMF leader Dominique Strauss-Kahn walked out of court free on bail today after prosecutors said an extensive background investigation of the hotel housekeeper accusing him of sexual assault gave them pause. Strauss-Kahn had been under pricey house arrest for weeks in a Manhattan loft on $6 million in cash and bond. The charges, which include attempted rape, have not been reduced, but the move signals that prosecutors do not believe the accusations are as ironclad as they once seemed.

The French politician's passport remained surrendered, and he will not yet be allowed to leave the country. One of his attorneys said Strauss-Kahn would be free to travel within the US. The accuser's attorney did not back down on the seriousness of the charges. "From Day One she has described a violent sexual assault that Dominique Strauss-Kahn committed against her," said Ken Thompson. "She has described that sexual assault many times, to prosecutors and to me, and she has never once changed a single thing about that encounter."