This year has seen many an Oscar winner in less-than-deserving films, from Tom Hanks in Larry Crowne to Frances McDormand in Transformers. Over at Grantland, Lane Brown averaged the Rotten Tomatoes scores of all an actor’s films since the Oscar victory—first through 2010, then through this year. The difference—measured in “cubas” (sorry, Mr. Gooding)—reveals how much the actor tainted his or her Oscar this year. And the winners are:
- Natalie Portman. Her Tomatometer average tanked, gaining her 28 cubas this year, thanks to not-quite-classics like Your Highness and No Strings Attached.
- Christoph Waltz. The Inglorious Basterds winner won 24 cubas in 2011 after performances in the The Green Hornet and Water for Elephants.
- Helen Mirren. Turning up in Arthur scored her 6.3 cubas.
- Jennifer Connelly. Her appearance in The Dilemma won her 3.6 cubas.
- Penélope Cruz. Starring in the latest Pirates of the Caribbean meant 2.9 cubas this year.
Head to Grantland
for the full list. (Or for another buzzy celebrity list, check out this group of 8 actors whose addictions took us by surprise