The summer blockbuster: proof that, when it comes to movies, budget is often inversely proportional to quality. In Time, Everett Rosenfeld and Gilbert Cruz reflect on the worst of the worst:
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: Director Michael Bay’s only priority: explosions.
- Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace: “This is the story of a man with too much power and the terrible things he did”—that is, George Lucas.
- Sex and the City 2: Our heroes go to the Middle East and “proceed to act closed-minded and condescending.”
- Battlefield Earth: The New York Times called it “beyond conventional criticism.”
- Batman & Robin: “The plot was insipid, the acting was plastic,” and it “killed the franchise for eight years.”
See the full list of 20