Should mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik go to prison, he could end up serving his time in a place that's less a dank hell-hole and more a plush heck-hole. Norway's prisons focus on rehabilitation, not punishment, and Halden Prison—the country's newest, most secure, and second-largest jail—comes across as a "posh sleepaway camp," reports Foreign Policy. It details Halden's amenities:
- Lots of exercise opportunities, with personal trainers, a state-of-the-art gym, and climbing walls.
- Music classes, and even a professional recording studio.
- Common areas where prisoners and guards (who don't carry guns) can relax and interact.
- No steel bars. In fact, the whole prison is designed to be less menacing, to "seem to have grown organically from the woodlands."
- Private bathrooms, and flat-screen TVs in inmates' rooms.
Click to see
photos of Halden.