Introducing 'Pandora for Books'
BookLamp aims to change the way you get book recommendations
By Evann Gastaldo, Newser Staff
Posted Aug 16, 2011 11:47 AM CDT
Updated Aug 20, 2011 6:38 AM CDT
A new website can help you find new books to read.   (©nSeika)

(Newser) – Need to find a new book to read? Allow us to introduce you to BookLamp, a project Mashable calls "Pandora for books." BookLamp is a recommendation engine launching today that uses the actual content of a book you like in order to recommend other books you might also like. The creators believe this method of utilizing what they call "Book DNA" will produce better recommendations than other sites that rely on marketing data for their recommendations. The only drawback? There are currently only about 20,000 books catalogued.

BookLamp scans texts of partner publishers and measures both story components and writing style. It then looks for other books that match that style and content, as opposed to other recommendation engines, which just look at books "people like you" have bought. One of the results is more diverse recommendations: "I’ll start off in science fiction, end up in fantasy, wander over historical fiction, wander over to some western," says the CEO. "There’s this easy and smooth transition between genres and meta data that is hard to do in other systems." Mashable has screen shots.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
BookLamp: Introducing Pandora for Books is...
13%
79%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 6 comments
Beaugrand_RTMC
Aug 20, 2011 11:38 AM CDT
I doubt I'll ever read 20,000 books...
Ballantyne
Aug 16, 2011 10:18 PM CDT
This was news about 3 years ago. nothing has changed since then.
dubya
Aug 16, 2011 3:54 PM CDT
They say they need publishers to aid them with listing books in their system. I say screw that; go for it wikipedia style. I haven't read as many books as I would like, but I'd be glad to build entries for some of the ones I have read. I'm sure other people would be willing to help the project grow using that method. The administrators could then approve the entries, and the project could grow more quickly.