In a competition that was, for once, scandal-free, Miss Angola Leila Lopes was crowned Miss Universe last night in Brazil. Get a taste of the evening via the best lines, as reported by the AP:
- Lopes, 25, during the pageant's Q&A portion: Asked what she would change about her physical appearance, she replied, "Thank God I'm very satisfied with the way God created me and I wouldn't change a thing. I consider myself a woman endowed with inner beauty."
- Connie Chung, celebrity judge: "You have to keep in mind that these women are not objects just to be looked at. They're to be taken seriously."
- Bravo’s Andy Cohen, pageant co-host: "It's a fun job. All I have to do is stand there, smile, and scream the names of countries."
- Paula Shugart, Miss Universe president, on the pageant’s location: "I don't think there is any doubt in the rest of the world's mind that Brazil is the place, between hosting the Olympics and hosting the World Cup. I love the fact we're going to kick it off. I always say we're the World Cup of beauty."
- The one tiny hint of a scandal: Some contestants complained about the size of the bikinis they wore in photo shoots. Miss Mexico called them "very small."
- Lopes' beauty tips: Get lots of sleep, always use sunscreen, and drink a lot of water.