Listeria Death Toll Hits 18

More cases still expected, says FDA official

By Evann Gastaldo,  Newser Staff

Posted Oct 5, 2011 5:00 AM CDT

(Newser) – The death toll from the listeriosis outbreak linked to cantaloupes rose to 18 as government officials confirmed three more deaths yesterday. The total number of illnesses is now 100, according to the CDC. An FDA official says more victims are expected, since listeria symptoms can take up to two months to appear. This outbreak is on the brink of outgunning one in 1998 that killed 21 and sickened 100, the Wall Street Journal notes.

Chart from last month shows the number of cases of listeria by state.
Chart from last month shows the number of cases of listeria by state.   (Associated Press)
Cantaloupes are displayed in a produce market on September 29, 2011 in Miami, Florida.
Cantaloupes are displayed in a produce market on September 29, 2011 in Miami, Florida.   (Getty Images)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
5%
9%
0%
0%
5%
82%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   MSN Living   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   Biography   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!