Geraldo Rivera has been catching more than a little flak for saying that he would "bet money" George Zimmerman wouldn't have shot Trayvon Martin if Martin hadn't been wearing a hoodie. Among the more amusing reactions:
- A Tumblr has emerged, charting a very suspicious person in a hoodie: Geraldo himself. Yep, the Fox News host is shown posing with a soldier, at a basketball game with Bill O'Reilly, and reporting from what looks like the scene of a nasty storm—each time clad in a hoodie.
- MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry yesterday unveiled a "Dress Code for Black Safety ... because clearly, we need one." One suggestion: Wear mauve or salmon instead of red, which could be misconstrued as a gang color.
- The San Francisco Chronicle rounds up some of the best Twitter reactions (click to read all). Our favorite: @mollycrabapple: "According to Geraldo, guns don’t kill people. Racist gun owners don’t kill people. Soft cotton over-garments kill people."
- A number of media sites are taking note of the fact that the thuggiest of thugs, Mark Zuckerberg, has been seen wearing a hoodie ... while giving a keynote address, no less.
- Who else wasn't impressed? Geraldo's own son, Cruz (who Geraldo cited during his hoodie segment). Say Geraldo, as per Twitter: "My own son just wrote to say he's ashamed of my position re hoodies-still I feel parents must do whatever they can to keep their kids safe."