Let's start with the obvious: Kim Kardashian and Kanye West are "dating," aka "engaging in a vast publicity stunt." Which is apparently working, based on the dozens of articles written about their "relationship." To get you up to speed:
- Kanye admitted his "love" in song: In his new single "Theraflu," he raps, "And I’ll admit, I had fell in love with Kim / Around the time she had fell in love with him / Well that’s cool, baby girl, do your thing / Lucky I ain’t had Jay drop him from the team." It would appear he's referring to Kardashian ("Kim"), Kris Humphries ("him"), and Jay-Z ("Jay," Kanye's friend and part-owner of Humphries' team, the New Jersey Nets), the New York Post speculates.
- They went on a very long, very public date: Kim and Kanye were spotted together on the same day "Theraflu" dropped—the coincidence!—seeing The Hunger Games together Wednesday night and then appearing "close and intimate" at a theater performance, a source tells Us. Yesterday morning, Kim was photographed leaving Kanye's place in her same clothes from the night before, then they were spotted having lunch together, TMZ reports, and going shopping at FAO Schwarz, E! adds.
- Anonymous sources have confirmed the romance … to practically every gossip outlet possible: The relationship is "just starting." (TMZ), "They've been friends for years" and now "Kim is ready to give it a try." (Us), "Kim and Kanye have now just started dating" and are keeping things "light" but "seeing where it goes." (People), "This is just the beginning of a new dating relationship. It’s very casual." (Just Jared)
- Kim insisted they're just friends… while "basking in attention" on Today this morning, Jezebel notes. Writes Dodai Stewart, "Note that all of this has been timed to coincide with the fact that her show returns this weekend." The New York Post doesn't trust them either: "It’s a match made in financial heaven," the paper declares, noting that Kanye gets record sales while Kim gets some image rehab.
- Best lines about the story: "Could Kim actually get higher ratings for a second televised wedding, if the groom was Kanye West?" (Gawker), "Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Are in Love (With Marketing)" (The Stir), "Two self-involved people are a match made in heaven, no? Kimye forever." (Jezebel), "Kanye and Kim Kardashian Are Working Very Hard to Promote His New Song" (Vulture), "It might be—might be—true love. So lay off. (Note: it's probably not true love.)" (The Atlantic Wire)