Because Congress loves being bossed around like nothing else, President Obama will today unveil a "to-do list" of priorities, which have historically had bipartisan support, and which he says will "help restore middle class security." "At this make-or-break moment for the middle class, we need to create an economy built to last," the White House said in a statement.
Here's what's on Obama's list, according to the USA Today:
- Pass a 20% tax credit encouraging companies to move their operations back to the US—and pay for it by eliminating the deduction companies can currently take for the cost of moving operations abroad.
- Make it easier for homeowners to refinance their mortgage.
- Create a 10% income tax credit for small businesses that create new jobs or bump wages.
- Extend and expand tax credits promoting clean energy production
- Create a "Veterans Job Corps" to help Iraq and Afghanistan veterans find work.