Ex-Players Hit NFL With Vast Suit Over Concussions They allege that the league lied to them about brain injuries By Kevin Spak, Newser Staff Posted Jun 7, 2012 9:17 AM CDT 24 comments Comments Minnesota Vikings Todd Scott and Audrey McMillan bring down Washington Redskins wide receiver Art Monk in this Aug. 29, 1992 file photo. Monk is one of the players currently suing the NFL. (AP Photo/Doug Mills, File) (Newser) – More than 2,000 former NFL players will file the largest sports lawsuit in history today, combining their various concussion-related complaints against the league. The suit claims that the "NFL exacerbated the health risk by promoting the game's violence" and "deliberately and fraudulently" hid the danger of long-term brain injury from players, according to ABC News. It also accuses the league's media arm of helping by "mythologizing" the violence of the sport. The suit seeks to make the league handle medical monitoring and treatment for its retirees, the AP reports. It combines 81 previously filed lawsuits, which together included 3,356 plaintiffs, including 2,138 players. The rest of the plaintiffs are family members, like Mary Ann Easterling, whose husband, former Falcons safety Roy Easterling, committed suicide in April. "I wish I could sit down with (Roger Goodell) and share with him the pain," she said. "It's not just the spouses, it's the kids, too." The NFL says the suit "has no merit."