Feds Suing Florida Over Voter Purge

...while Florida sues feds over denied access to database

By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff

Posted Jun 12, 2012 3:50 AM CDT | Updated Jun 12, 2012 4:46 AM CDT

(Newser) – The Department of Justice is taking Florida's Board of Elections to court for disregarding its warnings and continuing to purge its voter lists. Assistant Attorney General Thomas Perez has told Florida officials that the state's attempt to purge people it believes are noncitizens from the rolls needs to be cleared by the department to ensure it does not "endanger the ability of eligible US citizens to register to vote and maintain their voter registration," Talking Points Memo reports. Civil rights groups say Florida is using an inaccurate database that is removing eligible voters from the rolls.

Florida says it has found 87 noncitizens on the rolls so far, though one person told he was a noncitizen turned out to be a Brooklyn-born WWII veteran, notes the Miami Herald. Florida's government has filed a federal lawsuit of its own, alleging that the Department of Homeland Security is illegally refusing to let the state access a federal database that would help it purge noncitizens from the rolls. "We can’t let the federal government delay our efforts to uphold the integrity of Florida elections any longer," Florida's secretary of state told reporters.

Florida's purge is coming too close to election times, the DoJ says.
Florida's purge is coming too close to election times, the DoJ says.   (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee, File)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
20%
1%
4%
3%
63%
10%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   HitFix   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   CollegeHumor   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!