Colombian Rescue Deal Collapses
Hostages stuck in jungle; guerrillas, army blame each other
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 1, 2008 4:18 AM CST
Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez holds Juliana, grand daughter of former Colombian politician Consuelo Gonzalez at Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas, Monday, Dec. 31, 2007. Gonzalez, who has...   (Associated Press)
camera-icon View 4 more images

(Newser) – A Venezuela-brokered deal to rescue three hostages from Colombian rebels has fallen apart, Reuters reports. The leftist FARC rebels blamed the deal's failure on stepped-up Colombian army operations in the area and refused to relinquish hostages "due to fear for their safety and the safety of members involved in the operation," said a statement by the guerrillas.

Colombian president Alvaro Uribe angrily accused the rebels of making excuses. His Venezuelan counterpart, Hugo Chavez, said Uribe sabotaged his plan and suggested there had been interference from the US. He insisted the operation to free the three hostages—two female politicians and a 3-year-old boy born to one of them in captivity —was ongoing. Uribe said the boy was turned over to Colombian foster care 2 years ago.