Malware is trumping anti-virus apps these days, and even using them to stay ahead of security teams. A recent test by PC World reported that security suites spotted only one in four infiltrators because "the bad guys have the element of surprise," one McAfee expert said. "Bad guys" also test viruses on freeware sites like VirusTotal.com, which scans iffy files against 30 antivirus apps; if the virus passes, it's sure to confound experts for days.
But PC World still says that a good app is the best defense. Here are the top 5 peformers from their latest test:
- Symantec Norton Internet Security 2008
- Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0
- McAfee Internet Security Suite
- BitDefender Internet Security 2008
- Trend Micro Internet Security 2008
See the rest of their picks in the second link, below.