Despite the fact that celebrities almost always seem to lean left, Celebuzz reports that most stars who become politicians are actually Republican. A dozen Hollywood VIPs who ended up with DC connections:
- George Murphy: The 1930s and ‘40s star was the first big actor to transition to politics, serving as a senator in the 1960s and ‘70s.
- Sean Duffy: From reality TV to Washington, DC? Yep, it can happen. Duffy has appeared on two Real World series, is married to another Real World star, and is now in Congress.
Click for the entire list
- Ben Jones: After playing Cooter on The Dukes of Hazzard, Jones was elected to Congress.
- Fred Grandy: He served eight years in Congress after playing Gopher on The Love Boat, and now he works at a foreign policy think tank.
- Fred Thompson: First he was a Senate lawyer, then he became a character actor. Then he was elected to the Senate … but left and went on Law & Order. In 2008, he ran for president, but now he’s back to acting.
- Jesse Ventura: He went from wrestler and actor to mayor of a Minnesota town, then governor of the entire state.
—including, of course, the one celebrity who became president.