When the University of California unveiled its new logo, it probably wasn't expecting students and alumni reacting by Photoshopping it onto pictures of toilets about to be flushed. But that's exactly what happened, as logo haters staged what the Los Angeles Times calls an "online revolt" against the modern and simple design that replaced the more traditional, old-fashioned-looking one. In addition to mocking the new logo, critics have started a petition to bring the old one back ... although UC officials are quick to point out that the old logo hasn't gone away entirely, and will still be used on diplomas and other official documents.
For now, though, students are still complaining. The Mercury News has a list of some of the things the new logo has been compared to:
- "It looks like a tongue. Cannot unsee."
- "It looks like the aerial view of a flushing toilet."
- "a stylized urinal."
- "It looks like a internet browser icon! and it's loading! Looks like the page is reloading. Error: 404 admissions full. Try again later"
- "the logo that would be on some random taxi company in Europe"
- "the logo of a baby food company"
- "a Nintendo 64 logo"
- "the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture logo, except not quite as cool looking"
- "A banana in a cup of water."