Soldier in Afghan Massacre to Face Death Penalty

Army will seek death for Robert Bales, it announced today

By Newser Editors and Wire Services

Posted Dec 19, 2012 1:03 PM CST

(Newser) – The US Army said today it will seek the death penalty against the soldier accused of massacring 16 Afghan villagers, including nine children, during pre-dawn raids in March. The announcement followed a pretrial hearing last month for Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, 39, who faces premeditated murder and other charges in the attack on two villages in southern Afghanistan. No date has been set for his court martial, which will be held at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, south of Seattle.

Yesterday, Bales' civilian lawyer told the AP that he met with Army officials last week to argue that Bales should not face the death penalty, given that Bales was serving his fourth deployment in a war zone. Bales' defense team has said the government's case is incomplete and outside experts have said a key issue going forward will be to determine whether Bales, who served tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. Military prosecutors had called for the death penalty during a pretrial hearing last month.

In this Aug. 23, 2011 file photo, Staff Sgt. Robert Bales participates in an exercise at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, Calif.
In this Aug. 23, 2011 file photo, Staff Sgt. Robert Bales participates in an exercise at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, Calif.   (AP Photo/DVIDS, Spc. Ryan Hallock, File)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
SHARE YOUR TAKE: Twitter Facebook
Check out another Depressing story: Child Bride Accused of Killing Husband With Rat Poison
7%
Annoying
5%
Hilarious
6%
Intriguing
50%
Depressing
27%
Brilliant
5%
Scary
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   HitFix   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   CollegeHumor   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!