NYC on Track for Lowest Murders on Record
Chicago, meanwhile, just hit 500
By John Johnson, Newser Staff
Posted Dec 29, 2012 6:52 AM CST
A new police officer grins during a police academy graduation ceremony in New York, Friday, Dec. 28, 2012.   (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

(Newser) – Two big cities, two opposite trends:

  • New York City expects to record its lowest number of homicides since record-keeping began in 1963, reports AP. The city has had 414 this year, down nearly 20% from last year and well under the previous low of 471 in 2009. The city also has seen 1,353 shootings, again well below the previous low of 1,420 in 2009. Mayor Bloomberg and police credit the controversial "stop and frisk" policy in part for the numbers.

  • Chicago has hit the unfortunate milestone of 500 homicides this year, reports the Tribune. It's a "tragic number that is reflective of the gang violence and proliferation of illegal guns that have plagued some of our neighborhoods," says the police superintendent. It's also the first time in four years the city has hit the 500-mark, though the Trib points out that Chicago had nearly twice that number in 1992. The city had 435 homicides last year, notes AP.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
NYC on Track for Lowest Murders on Record is...
19%
50%
10%
17%
0%
5%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 15 comments
viva_yo
Dec 29, 2012 4:50 PM CST
The NYPD Stop & frisk scam stopped over 700,000 people last year, while 88% were innocent of all wrongdoing, of the remaining 12% most were charged with fine-able misdemeanors, not gun possession. The line around the courthouse now runs around the block with people there to pay their fines. NYPD officers have summons quotas to make & spend most of their days trolling the streets looking for fine-able misdemeanors while ignoring serious crime. I live over a 24/7 meth lab which the cops refuse to do anything about. After 8 letters & several calls to various NYPD divisions including NYPD headquarters & the mayor's office, after 2 yrs., NYPD "had no record of any complaint". After finally making it to the complaint list, they did a cursory "investigation" & found no meth lab, yet I choke on the caustic fumes & foul chemical cooking odors daily. NYPD is so lax, another meth lab has opened in a "grocery store" just 5 blocks away. All indoor drug activity is ignored by NYPD regardless of how dangerous it is. If I could afford to move, I would. Not that there would be any guarantee it wouldn't be next to another meth lab given the apathy of NYPD. NYC, where the innocent are stopped and harassed and the felons run free. See the ongoing corruption, starting at the top at NYPD & the Bloomberg administration http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-03-07/news/the-nypd-tapes-confirmed/
Scott60561
Dec 29, 2012 3:01 PM CST
Although 500 is still pretty high and some changes and improvements need to be made, Chicago has actually made great strides in reducing homicides, especially since the record numbers in the early 1990s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago
793tango
Dec 29, 2012 2:41 PM CST
How can this be? According to the NRA strict gun laws only ENCOURAGE gun violence as criminals victimize those who don't have them. By their logic NYC's murder rate should be as high if not higher than Chicago's.