Star Trek Director Gives Dying Fan Sneak Screening

JJ Abrams sends rough cut of sequel to cancer patient

By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff

Posted Jan 7, 2013 1:26 AM CST | Updated Jan 7, 2013 3:44 AM CST

(Newser) – A Star Trek fan with just days to live got to watch a rough cut of upcoming sequel Star Trek: Into Darkness after a plea on social media reached director JJ Abrams. The film won't be released until May, but Abrams and producer Damon Lindelof arranged for a copy to be sent to the home of New York Asian Film Festival co-founder Daniel Craft, who had discovered just weeks earlier that he had terminal cancer.

Craft's wife made popcorn and "he had spent the previous day resting so he could sit through the movie, and after signing about 200 non-disclosure agreements they watched the film and had a blast," a friend tells the Hollywood Reporter. Abrams and the producer told Craft and his wife, "'Please don't judge this—it's very rough, but we wanted you to see what we had,'" he says. "Of course, he loved the film. It was the last thing he got to do before he passed away."

Chris Pine, left, Karl Urban, second left, Zachary Quinto, foreground and John Cho are shown in a scene from the first Abrams Star Trek movie.
Chris Pine, left, Karl Urban, second left, Zachary Quinto, foreground and John Cho are shown in a scene from the first Abrams "Star Trek" movie.   (AP Photo/Paramount Pictures, Industrial Light & Magic)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow

Dan would be rolling his eyes at being 'the inspirational cancer story,' but he's done a lot for movies over the years. It's nice that the movies finally did something for him. - Grady Hendrix, a friend of Craft's

« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
1%
1%
2%
93%
1%
2%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   HitFix   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   CollegeHumor   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!