The death of former New York City mayor Ed Koch prompts the AP to recall some of his famous quotes:
- "How'm I doing?"
- "I'm not the type to get ulcers. I give them."
- "You punch me, I punch back. I do not believe it's good for one's self-respect to be a punching bag."
- "If you agree with me on nine out of 12 issues, vote for me. If you agree with me on 12 out of 12 issues, see a psychiatrist."
- "Have you ever lived in the suburbs? It's sterile. It's nothing. It's wasting your life." —On the prospect of living in Albany, during his failed 1982 race for governor.
- "Whether I am straight or gay or bisexual is nobody's business but mine."
- "If they want a parade, let them parade in front of the oil drums in Moonachie." —After the New York Giants, who play in New Jersey, asked for a permit to hold a parade in the city after winning the Super Bowl in 1987.
- "It's not soaring, beautiful, handsome, like the George Washington or the Verrazano. It's rugged, it's hard-working, and that's me." —On the 59th Street Bridge being renamed for him in 2011.
- "I don't want to leave Manhattan, even when I'm gone. This is my home. The thought of having to go to New Jersey was so distressing to me." —After purchasing a burial plot in Manhattan's Trinity Cemetery in 2008.