Pope: Vatileaks File Will Stay Under Wraps
Benedict will only let his successor see it
By Neal Colgrass, Newser Staff
Posted Feb 25, 2013 5:35 PM CST
Pope Benedict XVI touches his face during his last Angelus noon prayer, from the window of his studio overlooking St. Peter's Square, at the Vatican, Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013.   (AP Photo/Domenico Stinellis)

(Newser) – After last week's brouhaha, the Pope has decided to keep the Vatileaks probe between him and his successor, NBC News reports. The Vatican said today that the dossier regarding in-house leaks will stay under wraps, despite allegations in the Italian press that it revealed gay priests being blackmailed. A Vatican rep lashed out this weekend, calling the stories "unverified, unverifiable or completely false news stories."

Today's decision comes as no surprise to Father Thomas Reese, who wrote Inside the Vatican: The Politics and Organization of the Catholic Church. "The Vatican doesn’t like to do its laundry in public," he said. But he noted that the next Pope could reveal the report if he so chooses. Benedict ordered the investigation last year after leaked documents, including his own correspondence, revealed possible corruption at the Vatican.