The task of sifting through construction debris from the World Trade Center site in an effort to find any human remains from the 9/11 terrorist attacks resumed today, says the New York City medical examiner. Such sifting last occurred in 2010, and the latest work is expected to continue for about 10 weeks, reports the AP. Deputy Mayor Cas Holloway said in a memo Friday that DNA testing will continue until every possible identification can be made.
As the New York Post explains, 15,781 cubic yards of debris have been previously sifted through; what's under review now is another 590 cubic yards, mostly recovered from the south end of the World Trade Center. (The AP notes that about 60 truckloads of construction debris have been collected around the site over the past two and a half years.) WNYC reports that the debris in question is being housed in a designated area in Staten Island's Fresh Kills Landfill.