NJ Man Sets House on Fire Trying to Kill Bedbugs Space heater + hair dryer + heat gun = not a good idea By Evann Gastaldo, Newser Staff Posted Jun 13, 2013 12:59 PM CDT 19 comments Comments In this March 30, 2011 file photo a bedbug is displayed at the Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History in Washington. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster) (Newser) – Bedbugs are creepy and gross, but it may not be such a great idea to try and kill them using a space heater, a hair dryer, and a heat gun. That's a lesson one New Jersey homeowner learned the hard way—after his methods caused a house fire, reports the AP. The EPA says very high, sustained heat can kill bedbugs, but in this case the unusual combination of "weapons" sparked a fire, a county spokesperson says. And anyway, it wouldn't have worked: The EPA says you need special equipment in order to kill bedbugs with heat. A fire marshal who works nearby warns against Internet solutions, aka a "catastrophe in the making," and recommends that anyone with a bedbug problem "call the professionals." As for the homeowner, he was hospitalized with unspecified injuries.