The American student who was brutally gang-raped on a Rio minibus in March while her boyfriend was forced to watch may now find some peace in the knowledge her attackers are behind bars. A judge, who noted the men had been targeting tourists in Rio for months, sentenced driver Jonathan de Souza, 20, and conductor Walace de Souza Silva, 21, to 49 years in prison on rape and other charges; Carlos dos Santos, 21, got 21 years. A boy, 14, is still awaiting trial, the BBC reports.
The New York Times reports that 49 years won't actually be served because no sentence can be enforced beyond 30 years per Brazilian law. The men could be handed a second sentence, however, in connection with the rape of a Brazilian woman who says her attack, reported a week before the American's, wasn't initially investigated by police. "The authorities still seem to be more concerned in dealing with the rape case of a foreigner instead of my own," the woman told the Times. "But I'm comforted a little knowing these criminals will go to prison." A hearing in that case is set for Aug. 27.