Ben Affleck was revealed as the newest Batman last night (he'll play the Dark Knight in the next Superman movie, a sequel to this year's Man of Steel expected in 2015, the Wall Street Journal reports), and let's just say the Internet is not happy. Twitter users bemoaned the choice; indeed, someone even started a Change.org petition begging Warner Bros. to change its mind. There's a mock "Ben Affleck Batman" Twitter account and, the Guardian reports, the hashtag #BetterBatmanThanBenAffleck started trending; some of the suggestions included a member of boy band One Direction, Butt-head from MTV's Beavis and Butt-head, and "ANYONE ELSE, with the exception of Ryan Reynolds." Some of our favorite Twitter reactions:
- @robfee: "I fell asleep & when I woke up Ben Affleck was Batman. I’m afraid if I sleep again Paul Walker will be The Hulk & Grumpy Cat will be Thor."
- @MIKEBLACKATTACK: "You'd think having your parents murdered before your eyes would be the worst thing that could happen to Batman."
- @ledjessica: "What's with the Ben-Affleck-as-Batman furor? The bottom of his face fits the bill perfectly."
- @LorraineELLE: "I am worried about the beard."
- @LifeisSavage: "They better make sure Ben Affleck's Batman suit utility belt has some acting skills in one of the pockets."
- @aliarikan: "Just told my girlfriend Ben Affleck is the new Batman. Her response: "You are 35 years old. I want you to think about what you just said."
- @billyeichner: "How dare Ben Affleck ruin the integrity of a franchise where a grown man pretends he's a bat!"
- @badbanana: "Be thankful Ben Affleck said yes. You know James Franco was next on that list."
- @GeekOutpost: "'Ben Affleck as Batman isn’t a bad idea. He was great in DareDevil!' - No one."
- @pattonoswalt: "'You like apples, Riddl-ah?' You can totally use that one, @BenAffleck."
For more Dark Knight fun, click for the seven best Batmans as ranked by ... their chins