Kenneth Cole Tweets Tactless Wordplay ... Again
Defends himself, says he's provoking 'dialogue about important issues'
By Arden Dier, Newser Staff
Posted Sep 6, 2013 10:53 AM CDT
Designer Kenneth Cole considers a reporters question during Fashion Week in New York, Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013.   (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

(Newser) – It appears Kenneth Cole didn't learn his lesson when he sent a very questionable tweet out into the world to promote his brand back in 2011. He's done it once again, this time using the situation in Syria, rather than Egypt, for inspiration, Gawker notes. "'Boots on the ground' or not, let's not forget about sandals, pumps and loafers. #Footwear," the high-end designer tweeted yesterday. And out poured the angry responses. One Twitter user argued Cole was "mocking war to sell fashion," another accused him of being "out for cheap shock value." But this time around, Cole isn't apologizing.

In an Instagram video, the designer responded by saying, "I've always used my platform to provoke dialogue about important issues including HIV/AIDS, war, and homelessness. I'm well aware of the risks that come with this approach, and if this encourages further awareness and discussion of critical issues, then all the better." But as the Atlantic Wire notes, "If Cole is genuine about the mission behind his otherwise regrettable tweets, it doesn't look like he's anywhere close to succeeding: The only subject his more controversial tweets have provoked people to discuss is Kenneth Cole himself." Click to find out why he's in teachers' bad books, too.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Kenneth Cole Tweets Tactless Wordplay ... Again is...
16%
0%
2%
12%
1%
68%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 14 comments
InferiorToYou
Sep 7, 2013 5:37 AM CDT
"boots on the ground" is dying to be mocked. What a dumb ass expression. What we need is a boot factory in the USA. Better yet, our bridges are crumbling. Let Obama take them out with cruise missiles and rebuild them. Some neighborhood kids made a toilet cleaner bomb, and we can't let that stand or we will lose credibility as a nation.
GreekChorus
Sep 7, 2013 2:36 AM CDT
This whole idea of the US attacking Syria, whatever footwear is worn, deserves to be mocked, and mocked loudly and repeatedly. Kudos to Kenneth Cole for realizing this and using whatever platform (shoes or otherwise) he has to do so, and shame on those who don't realize the value of such mocking.
specialk
Sep 6, 2013 10:58 PM CDT
Kenneth Cole is irrelevant to about 98% of America, and the remaining 2% are more concerned about "fashion and style" to truly matter. Cole is a vapid dilettante who is essentially a waste of human skin. George Orwell said it best when it come to his (Cole's) kind - "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." It is a shame that they end up protecting the likes of him. Hey . . have a problem? . . . well you don't call Kenny.