A dozen children were hospitalized yesterday after a swing ride malfunctioned at a festival in Connecticut, sending children crashing into each other and the center of the ride in front of their horrified parents. One adult was also injured as the ride at Norwalk's Oyster Festival lost power, the AP reports. Witnesses saw bleeding children with injured necks and legs and the most seriously injured child, an 8-year-old boy, is still in the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
"It was just injured kids everywhere. The parents ripping out the gate just trying to get to their kids," a witness tells CNN. "It was just horrible." The owner of the ride, which spins swings attached to metal arms, says his company is cooperating with state investigators.