Firefighters Rescue Guy Stuck in Chimney They're not sure why he climbed in By Newser Editors and Wire Services Posted Sep 10, 2013 3:37 PM CDT 5 comments Comments (Shutterstock) (Newser) – Firefighters had to chisel a hole in a chimney at an apartment building in Washington state to rescue a man who'd gotten stuck inside. Authorities in Tacoma say the man is fine, but they're not sure what he was doing in the 20-inch space. Firefighters were called about 1:30am today to help the man who was trapped at the second-floor level of the three-story building. A technical rescue team was called in to use power equipment to cut through a wall and the chimney. The man stepped out in about half an hour, uninjured; the fire department battalion chief says he's not suspected of a crime. It remains unclear why he apparently climbed into the unused chimney. Fudge says authorities heard several possibilities, including "ceiling repair" and "hide and seek" or something like a "stupid pet trick."