Cost-Cutting Navy Yard Was Poorly Protected: Report
Aaron Alexis worked for Navy subcontractor
By Matt Cantor, Newser User
Posted Sep 17, 2013 4:57 AM CDT
Staff of the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters exchange a salute while being greeted by family and friends as they are bused from the Washington Navy Yard to Nationals Park, Sept. 16, 2013.   (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

(Newser) – The Navy Yard attacked yesterday hadn't adequately guarded itself when it came to contractor access, an upcoming report finds. Seeking "to reduce access-control costs," the Navy "did not effectively mitigate access-control risks associated with contractor-installation access," says the report, begun in August 2012 by the Pentagon's inspector general. The inspector general's website last month said the report was due for release within 30 days, Time notes. The report finds that "convicted felons received routine unauthorized installation access, placing military personnel, attendants, (and) civilians in installations at an increased security risk."

Alleged shooter Aaron Alexis, who was reportedly once arrested, worked for a military subcontractor, the New York Times notes. The Washington Post reports that he worked with computers for a firm called The Experts. Alexis is now believed to have held a valid ID badge when he accessed the yard; his security clearance had been updated in July. He was given a "general discharge" from the Navy Reserve in 2011; that points to likely concerns over his time in the service, the Post notes. DC Mayor Vincent Gray says the motive is unknown, but investigators are looking into whether the discharge had anything to do with it.

View 1 more image