Millions Will Lose Current Policy Under ObamaCare

White House pushes back on NBC report

By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff

Posted Oct 29, 2013 5:15 AM CDT | Updated Oct 29, 2013 7:59 AM CDT

(Newser) – NBC News and the White House are locked in a showdown over whether millions of Americans will see cancellation letters from their health insurers due to ObamaCare: Despite President Obama's assurances that "if you like your health plan, you will be able to keep your health plan," an NBC investigation finds that many of these policies are ineligible under the Affordable Care Act's standards—and the administration has known that for years. ObamaCare regulations "grandfathered in" policies that were up and running by March 23, 2010, but regulations added since state that changes to things like the deductible, co-pay, or benefits make a policy ineligible for that grandfathering. Translation: Up to 75% of the 14 million Americans who buy insurance individually may have their insurance cancelled.

White House officials have been blasting the report on Twitter, Politico reports, arguing that NBC is blaming ObamaCare for normal insurance market turnover. "FACT: Nothing in #Obamacare forces people out of their health plans," Valerie Jarrett wrote. "No change is required unless insurance companies change existing plans." But many plans tweak premiums or deductibles from year to year. CBS is reporting today that more than 2 million Americans have already been told they can't renew their current policies—which is more than three times the number of people who've signed up for new ObamaCare policies.

President Obama speaks about the Affordable Care Act at Prince George’s Community College in Largo, Maryland last month.
President Obama speaks about the Affordable Care Act at Prince George’s Community College in Largo, Maryland last month.   (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow

I'm sitting here looking at this, thinking we ought to just pay the fine and just get insurance when we're sick. - George Schwab, a 62-year-old North Carolina man who says a plan he was 'perfectly happy' with was canceled, and the cheapest alternative costs four times as much

« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
9%
4%
10%
3%
58%
17%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   MSN Living   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   Biography   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!