Diana Wasn't Killed By Military: Report
Police won't reopen investigation, info 'not credible'
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Dec 17, 2013 12:55 AM CST
Updated Dec 17, 2013 1:34 AM CST
Diana, her bodyguard Trevor Rees-Jones, left, and driver Henri Paul are seen shortly before the car crash that killed Diana, her companion Dodi Fayed and the driver in Paris Aug. 31, 1997.    (AP Photo/HO via PA)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Christmas won't be coming early for conspiracy theorists: Investigators at Scotland Yard have concluded that there is "no credible evidence" that British special forces were involved in Princess Diana's death and there is consequently no need to open a criminal investigation, the BBC reports. The London police force created a stir earlier this year when it announced it was examining new information in the death of the princess, boyfriend Dodi Fayed, and their driver in the 1997 car crash in Paris.

Scotland Yard says its "scoping exercise" after receiving information from an Army source included unprecedented access to the records of Britain's Special Air Service. "The final conclusion is that whilst there is a possibility the alleged comments in relation to the SAS's involvement in the deaths may have been made, there is no credible evidence to support a theory that such claims had any basis in fact," it said in a statement.