The Disaster That Is My Sochi Hotel
Stacy St. Clair had quite the morning in Sochi
By Kate Seamons,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 5, 2014 7:00 AM CST
Updated Feb 5, 2014 7:41 AM CST
Building debris is left outside the Gorki Grand hotel in Krasnaya Polyana, Russia Sunday, Feb. 2, 2014.   (AP Photo/Luca Bruno)

(Newser) – American journalists are turning to Twitter to moan about their Sochi hotel accommodations, and the complaints go well beyond there being no mints on the pillow. A sampling of the issues, per the Washington Post: no hotel lobby floor built yet; only one of 11 rooms booked five months ago being available; a broken elevator that forced a walk up to the right floor, only to find the fire door to the floor locked (yes, fire door). But Stacy St. Clair, with the Tribune Olympic Bureau, shares a truly standout story: On Tuesday morning she threw "caution to the bone-tired, jet-lagged wind" and decided to ignore the third fire alarm to go off in fewer than three hours. But, fully awake at 5:50am, she figured she'd just start her day.

But when she turned on the water to brush her teeth, no water came out. Ditto the shower, and the toilet wouldn't flush. The front desk was very helpful, though, informing her it would be fixed in 40 minutes. Oh, but one thing. "When it comes back on, please do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous." Not a problem. What eventually poured forth was the color of "a performance enhancing drug test specimen. The shower left what looked like fish food flakes coating the tub." So St. Clair used bottled Evian water to freshen up, "which made me feel like a Kardashian." (Another Sochi-related story grabbing headlines: The city is reportedly killing off its stray dogs with poison.)
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
48%
3%
16%
2%
9%
23%