Another neighbor testified at Oscar Pistorius' murder trial today, saying she heard "terrified, terrified screaming" that didn't sound as though it was emanating from an enclosed space, like a bathroom, the morning of Reeva Steenkamp's death, the Telegraph reports. But the most attention-grabbing part of today's testimony took the form of texts between Pistorius and Steenkamp, which were shown on monitors. While a police IT expert said 90% of the WhatsApp messages were normal and "loving," a small portion showed a complicated, jealous relationship. A sampling, per Sky News, the Telegraph, and the Independent:
- Steenkamp: "I'm scared of u sometimes and how u snap at me and of how u will react to me."
- "I do everything to make u happy and to not say anything to rock the boat with u. You do everything to throw tantrums in front of people."
- "I'm sorry you think I was hitting on my friend's husband and u think so little of me. I just want to be loved and to love. Right now I am very unhappy and sad"
- "I can't be attacked by outsiders for dating you and then be attacked by you..the one person I need protection from."
- Pistorius: "I was standing tight behind me watching you touch his arm. But when I left, u just kept on chatting to him. I'm sorry I asked u to stop touching my neck."
- Pistorious admitted he is "tired and sick" but that doesn't excuse his jealous behavior.
- Apparently in reference to a shooting incident, he wrote "Angel, please don't say a thing to any one, Darren told everyone it was his fault. I can't afford for that to come out. The guys promised not to say a thing."
notes the prosecution's case is expected to close this week.