Players Sue: NHL Promoted 'Extreme Violence' for Profit
It's the second suit against the NHL since November
By Arden Dier,  Newser Staff
Posted Apr 11, 2014 9:43 AM CDT
New York Islanders' Brett Gallant, left, fights with Montreal Canadiens' George Parros during an NHL hockey game Thursday, April 10, 2014, in Montreal.   (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Ryan Remiorz)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – The National Hockey League is being sued by nine of its own, who claim the league "intentionally created, fostered, and promoted a culture of extreme violence" with an eye on profit, the suit reads. Ex-players brought a similar suit against the NHL in November, but the New York Times describes this one as "more graphic." One plaintiff, Michael Peluso—who previously said he suffers from concussion-related seizures—was an enforcer who fought 179 times over nine years. The suit also claims the league stayed mum on the risks of head trauma and kept scientific evidence on that subject from players, Reuters reports.

"The NHL has subjected and continues to subject its players to the imminent risk of head trauma and, as a result, devastating and long-term negative health consequences," the suit continues. It also notes recent head trauma-minded rule changes have been "untimely and ineffective." The NHL's deputy commissioner, however, says, "we are completely satisfied with our record on player safety, including as it relates to head injuries and brain trauma." Experts say the players likely want an out-of-court settlement.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
3%
7%
4%
44%
1%
40%