A few quotes from Chris Martin's new interview with BBC's Radio 1, airing tonight, are being touted as his first public explanation of his "conscious uncoupling" from Gwyneth Paltrow ... but we really have no clue what he's saying. (E!, for example, points out that he doesn't directly mention Gwyneth, but it's "easy to read between the lines.") Want to try and decipher it yourself? Here are the relevant lines:
- "About two years ago I was a mess really because I can't enjoy the thing that we are good at and I can't enjoy the great things around me because I'm burdened by this. I've got to not blame anyone else and make some changes. I wouldn’t use the word breakdown, this was more a realization about trying to grow up basically."
- "If you can't open yourself up, you can’t appreciate the wonder inside. So you can be with someone very wonderful, but because of your own issues you cannot let that be celebrated in the right way. What changed for me was—I don't want to go through life being scared of it, being scared of love, being scared of rejection, being scared of failure. Up to a certain point in my life I wasn't completely vulnerable and it caused some problems. If you don’t let love really in then you can’t really give it back."
- "[The single 'Magic' is] about saying this person is really awesome and is magic, and of course certain parts of it have to change because that's life but not everything has to be black or white or clear cut and that’s OK. It’s not a question of you either really love someone or you really hate someone, it's more nuanced than that."
The consensus seems to be that Martin is taking the blame. Sample headlines:
- Daily Mail: "Chris Martin reveals how his own personal issues contributed to 'conscious uncoupling' from Gwyneth Paltrow"
- New York Daily News: "Chris Martin says he's to blame for separation from Gwyneth Paltrow"
- Jezebel: "Chris Martin Says Conscious Uncoupling From Gwyneth Was All His Fault"
- PopSugar: "Chris Martin Blames His 'Own Issues' For Gwyneth Paltrow Split"
- Us: "Chris Martin on Gwyneth Paltrow Split: My 'Own Issues' Contributed to End of Marriage"