Utah Busts 2 Ex-AGs on Bevy of Corruption Charges
John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff were subjects of lengthy bribery investigation
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jul 15, 2014 12:27 PM CDT
This Tuesday, July 15, 2014 photo shows former Utah attorney general John Swallow, who was booked on four felony charges.   (AP Photo/Salt Lake County Sheriff)

(Newser) – Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill said two former Utah attorneys general, John Swallow and Mark Shurtleff, were arrested today after a bribery probe that stemmed from their cozy relationships with several businessmen during their time in office. Swallow was booked on four felony charges, including receiving or soliciting a bribe and misusing public money. Shurtleff was also booked on four felony charges, three of which were bribery-related. Two of Swallow's charges and all four of Shurtleff's charges each come with a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. The arrests come more than 14 months after prosecutors started scrutinizing Shurtleff and Swallow's relationships with businessmen, including allegations of a chain of favors, campaign donations, and gifts such as spa vacations and use of a private jet.

Swallow resigned in late 2013; the first bombshell dropped less than a week after he took office in January 2013, when a businessman in trouble with federal regulators accused Swallow of arranging a bribery plot involving Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. The accusations snowballed, and led to probes by the Department of Justice, Utah elections officials, and the state bar. Utah lawmakers concluded Swallow hung a veritable "for sale" sign on the attorney general's office. Shurtleff, his predecessor, left a job at a large DC law firm six months after leaving office when one businessman claimed Shurtleff had once offered him $2 million if he stopped trying to find a suspected swindler. That came on the heels of a jailed businessman's claims that he paid for meals, golf, and massages for Shurtleff and Swallow at a Newport Beach resort months after the Utah AG's office charged him with fraud.

View 2 more images

Copyright 2016 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. AP contributed to this report.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Utah Busts 2 Ex-AGs on Bevy of Corruption Charges is...
10%
3%
7%
70%
5%
5%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 30 comments
CopTurnedJournalist
Jul 20, 2014 11:38 PM CDT
How much more of this are we as an allegedly free people going to tolerate? If we were electing members of the Bloods and the Crips to public office and they kept violating our trust over and over again, at some point you would think someone would notice that the only thing all of the corrupt politicians had in common was their membership in one of two well-organized, publicly-identifiable criminal gangs. How long until the average American figures out that all of the major problems in our government share only two things in common: They were caused, perpetuated, or left unresolved by Democrats and Republicans?
dan6807
Jul 17, 2014 9:07 PM CDT
65% of all politicians go to jail after serving. We need to get more aggressive in getting the other 35%.
OrneryPup
Jul 15, 2014 6:51 PM CDT
Merely the tip of the iceberg.