Peaches Geldof Was Heroin Addict: Husband
Drugs found in system too pure for relapsed addict, inquest hears
By Shelley Hazen, Newser User
Posted Jul 23, 2014 10:33 AM CDT
FILE - In this Wednesday, May 15, 2013, file photo, Peaches Geldof is seen at The Great Gatsby VIP Screening in London. A British coroner has concluded that model and TV personality Peaches Geldof died...   (Photo by Jon Furniss/Invision/AP, File)

(Newser) – A coroner has ruled that Peaches Geldof did, indeed, die of a heroin overdose, and her husband, Thomas Cohen, admitted at the inquest looking into her April death that she was using again shortly before her death, the Guardian reports. The 25-year-old mother of two had been taking methadone for more than two years to curb her addiction, but relapsed in February despite treatment and counseling, the BBC reports. At that time, Cohen found suspicious text messages on Geldof's phone and confronted her; she retrieved drugs she'd hidden in their home and flushed them down the toilet.

He told the inquest he checked for drugs after that point and never found more, but added that he believes Geldof may have been lying when she told him her weekly drug tests were negative. He also answered "Yes" when asked if she was a heroin addict. Heroin wasn’t the only drug in Geldof’s system—a pathologist also noted evidence of codeine, methadone, and morphine in her blood. Syringes, knotted tights, and burnt spoons were also found in the house. And the heroin—present in a “fatal range” in Geldof’s body—was particularly dangerous for someone who’d been off the drug long enough for her tolerance to lower, a forensic scientist testified. Found in a black cloth bag in a bedroom cupboard, the drug was 61% pure—much higher than the 25% pure grade found on the street.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Peaches Geldof Was Heroin Addict: Husband is...
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Showing 3 of 49 comments
Jul 23, 2014 5:00 PM CDT
Junkie idiot.
Jul 23, 2014 1:01 PM CDT
the mistake is always trying it for the first time, death just takes longer than if she had jumped off a bridge
Jul 23, 2014 12:56 PM CDT
Should have tried Ibogaine.