Tony Stewart Pulls Out of Race After Fatal Crash

Rep had earlier said it was 'business as usual'

By Polly Davis Doig,  Newser Staff

Posted Aug 10, 2014 9:46 AM CDT

(Newser) – Tony Stewart will withdraw from today's NASCAR race in Watkins Glen, reports the AP, in the wake of last night's fatal accident that killed 20-year-old driver Kevin Ward Jr. in Western New York. It's a reversal for Stewart, whose rep had earlier this morning confirmed he would race, calling it "business as usual." The director of Stewart's Stewart-Haas Racing team now says the driver "feels strongly" against competing in wake of the tragedy. Regan Smith will take Stewart's place.

The scene at Canandaigua Motorsports Park on Saturday, Aug. 9, 2014, where driver Kevin Ward Jr. was killed after jumping onto the track to confront Tony Stewart.
The scene at Canandaigua Motorsports Park on Saturday, Aug. 9, 2014, where driver Kevin Ward Jr. was killed after jumping onto the track to confront Tony Stewart.   (AP Photo/Logan Messerly)
In this April 11, 2014, photo, Tony Stewart stands in the garage during practice for a NASCAR Sprint Cup series race at Darlington Speedway in Darlington, SC.
In this April 11, 2014, photo, Tony Stewart stands in the garage during practice for a NASCAR Sprint Cup series race at Darlington Speedway in Darlington, SC.   (AP Photo/Mike McCarn)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
8%
12%
54%
12%
6%
8%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   MSN Living   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   Biography   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!